Do the commodity prices change randomly at all?

Forum For Privateer Remake
Slocket
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by Slocket »

It seems that I can go back and forth between Hellen and Hector forever and the commodity prices only flucuate about .02 in price.

In the original game, you were not guaranteed a profit due to the changing prices (such as 25-50k on a mining base) sell for 45-50k on a agricultural base.

Are the prices suppossed to flutuate more than just a few pennies?

I would like to say great job on the remake :D , but I tried to figure this out reading posts from SEARCH, I understand it may not be a true dynamic supply and demand, but a simulated random one is better than nothing.

Freelancer economic model had the prices fixed and static, they never changed.

Can someone please clarify what is going on?

And is there a Python script module that determines the price variation (I see the availability and quantity is random and working) jus the price variation is very small.

I know just enough of this new Python script to get myself in trouble.
Last edited by Slocket on Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slocket

Post by Slocket »

Sorry for the bump.

Great game! :P

Can someone please tell me if it is normal to have basically static prices for commodities to trade in?

Example, Iron at mining base Hector is always 26.01, 26.32, 26.04...

That is not very much variation in price.

Can someone please tell me if this is normal or not? Thank you. :?:
drvoke
Merchant
Merchant

Post by drvoke »

Strangely, according to the docs it sounds like some places will buy cargo higher than normal, and some places will sell for cheaper than normal, allowing you to map "profitable trade routes". This may be a fundamental misuderstaing of this part of the docs, though. But more to the point, there is no active economy at the moment that I've noticed. This is something that's being discussed in the vanilla VS forums.

For instance, you can buy plutonium and uranium at hector/achilles in Troy, but there are only a few places I've found that will buy it at a premium(or at all! Try selling either one at Helen).

A dynamic economy would be cool, but I don't think any VS mods implement it... There is an issue as to how exactly the details of how it works would be implemented.

BUT, I think if someone were to write some code to implement it that could be dropped into vanilla VS or PR without requiring a serious code overhaul, it would give a good starting point. And something would be better than nothing. I'd like to do this myself(something very basic.. I'll explain below), but I know nothing about coding the economy for VS. I prefer the Privateer mod over vanilla VS for various reasons(fun/playability over realism being the most important)so I would like to work on this for PR if it's appropriate.

My idea for a very basic dynamic economy would be a star-system based economy. A system with several points of production for Cargo A would, for instance, sell Cargo A cheaper than a system who did not have any of these points of production. As an example, a system with multiple mining bases would sell minerals cheaper than a system with one or no mining bases.

Systems would buy cargo at increasingly deflated prices as the system-wide stores increased, so if you bring in 500 units of iron to a system and offload it, the value of that type of cargo would go down.

Systems would use up their system-wide store of cargo at a regular rate, and production points(industrial planets, mining bases, etc..)would replenish their stocks at a regular rate.

The net effect of this would be that you would buy low at resource-rich systems, sell high at resource-dry systems. When you "buy-out" a resource-rich system, the value of the type of cargo would go up. If it has a point of production, then the value would go back down as more of the cargo was produced.

If anyone cares to point me in the direction of where I would have to start editing this, I would be happy to volunteer my time to make such a simple economic system come true. Even better if you have experience mucking around with the economy and have some code examples. Be aware, though, that I don't have any way to compile code so if this can't be done with data files, I can't help.
My poems crush bones into powder,
You mumble like a coward,
I'm Mos Def, you need to speak louder!
(Speed Law)
Vandrvekn
Trader
Trader

Post by Vandrvekn »

Plotonium and Uranium can only be bought and sold at some places. They're cheaper at mining stations, and can be sold at a good profit at refinaries and at New Detroit.

One oddity is that you can sometimes find courier missions to take them to an Ag planet. If you do, you can then buy the stuff for nothing!
drvoke
Merchant
Merchant

Post by drvoke »

Vandrvekn wrote:One oddity is that you can sometimes find courier missions to take them to an Ag planet. If you do, you can then buy the stuff for nothing!
Yes indeed! :) This happened to me and I managed to make a tidy profit taking it to New Detroit!
My poems crush bones into powder,
You mumble like a coward,
I'm Mos Def, you need to speak louder!
(Speed Law)