How to please Lynn Murphy?

Forum For Privateer Remake
Nur-Ab-Sal
Merchant
Merchant

How to please Lynn Murphy?

Post by Nur-Ab-Sal »

Hi!

I'm trying the Palan missions. I went to Murphy and got my first mission "Intercept Hunters at Nav 1" (campain score from 99 to 103). Nav 1 is the Tingerhoff jump point. But my mission computer always tells me to go to Palan. If I go to Palan, my mission computer tells me to kill the hunters.

But this is wrong. To free Palan is a later mission, not the first.I reloaded the save game more than 10 times, I restarted the game more than 5 times, but it is always "Go to Palan". Damn, how do I play now further? This sucks. And always those stupid cats. How am I supposed to play with the hunters, when the cats let me waste all my missiles already?

Shade and sweet water!

Stephan
If your life was a horse, you'd have to shoot it.
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Solon Halwinder »

To avoid the Kilrathi, kill off some humans (doesn't matter what kind) and try and get their relationship stat with you above zero, at which point they'll be either neutral or friendly (depending on how high the number is.)

As for the rest...maybe you go to Palan to see if they're there yet, then to Nav 1 when you see they're not.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Nur-Ab-Sal »

Solon Halwinder wrote:To avoid the Kilrathi, kill off some humans (doesn't matter what kind) and try and get their relationship stat with you above zero, at which point they'll be either neutral or friendly (depending on how high the number is.)
I know how to get them friendly. ;-)
I don't want to be friends with them. I dislike the Palan missions because you get on the wrong side of the hunters what I don't want. But I can't finish the story without doing it.

But since you will have a hard time dealing with the hunters, the game engine should remove those random enemies (at least they should not hunt you ;-).
Solon Halwinder wrote: As for the rest...maybe you go to Palan to see if they're there yet, then to Nav 1 when you see they're not.
Since Palane is blocked by hunters you're faster dead than you can count to 100. ;-)

Shade and sweet water!

Stephan
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Nur-Ab-Sal wrote: Since Palane is blocked by hunters you're faster dead than you can count to 100. ;-)
There is no "real" blockade. You mission is to kill all hunters in the system or around palan. These are the reinforcments... This works for all palan missions: You simply gotta kill all hunters.

Good luck :wink:
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Nur-Ab-Sal »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:sion is to kill all hunters in the system or around palan. These are the reinforcments... This works for all palan missions: You simply gotta kill all hunters.
Now you are confusing me. Lynn tells me that Palan is blocked by hunters. She is organizing the resistance. Since I played the original game, I know that the first missions are to prevent reinforcements going to the blockade. Then I break at the last mission the Palan blockade at Palan, landing, meeting the scientist, etc.

Since PR keeps the original story line it would make no sense to break the blockade at the first mission because there would be no need for further missions from Lynn.

Shade and sweet water!

Stephan
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Just ignore what the computer says and go to nav 1, like in the original game. The computer thing is probably a bug.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Nur-Ab-Sal »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Just ignore what the computer says and go to nav 1, like in the original game. The computer thing is probably a bug.
I don't think the three cats that were at Nav 1 were part of the Palan reinforcements. ;-) And Lynn was not pleased with the result. ;-)

Shade and sweet water!

Stephan
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Just ignore what the computer says and go to nav 1, like in the original game. The computer thing is probably a bug.
Actually, you're going to want to ignore what was in the original game and listen to the computer. I say this every time there is a question about the Palan missions, here goes again: there is currently no way to specify at which nav point a mission encounter happens. All we control is in what system.

The only way to know which nav point to go to is to listen to the computer.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Nur-Ab-Sal »

MamiyaOtaru wrote: Actually, you're going to want to ignore what was in the original game and listen to the computer. I say this every time there is a question about the Palan missions, here goes again: there is currently no way to specify at which nav point a mission encounter happens. All we control is in what system.
Maybe this should be written in the manual, too?
MamiyaOtaru wrote: The only way to know which nav point to go to is to listen to the computer.
I know this. ;-)
But the Palan missions are the only missions where certain nav points don't make sense, okay, one point. ;-)
If your job is to weaken the blockade by destroying reinforcements, it isn't logical if both are at the same point.

I followed hellcatv's advice and went to Palan as the computer told me and destroyed all hunters. This finished the mission but left Palan without blockade. And nothing could have stopped me to land, get Monkhouse and kiss Murphy good bye without doing their next mission.

The second mission sent me again to Palan.

How is the probability that two times the same (and wrong) point is choosen of a list of 5 possibilities? And I wonder what would happen if the last mission (really break the blockade this time) would send you to Basra?

Shade and sweet water!

Stephan
Duke Derek
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Duke Derek »

actually, i'd like a proper blockade going on here, one that is actually impassable, or at least very unwise to attempt to pass...
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Duke Derek wrote:actually, i'd like a proper blockade going on here, one that is actually impassable, or at least very unwise to attempt to pass...
Ah? And how will the monkey doctor on palan then be able to tell you about the blockade and about the resistance settled on the refinery base?
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Besides, your true problem is that Monkey boy here refuses to leave, not that you can't reach him.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe