Bonus campaign questions

Forum For Privateer Remake
ijuin
Hunter
Hunter

Bonus campaign questions

Post by ijuin »

I am playing through the bonus campaign (with Destinee etc.) after getting the Steltek gun, and I was wondering about a few things.

First of all, I heard that there was a cloaking device in one of the branches of the bonus campaign. Where would I find it?

Second, how long does the Revolution continue for? What happens next?
He who lives by the sword . . . gets shot by he who lives by the gun.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

well you didn't choose the right branch to get the cloak ;-)
it's hard to get the cloak and keep friends ...

as for the revolution--it stops after a while--and you can make huge profits running cargo across the front lines of the revolution
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
ijuin
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ijuin »

Well, I tried the other two branches--the one where you finish with a kiss from Destinee, and the one where you finish by running catnip to the Kilrathi, and land on their munitions dump asteroid--in that one I was able to purchase Kilrathi fighters, but no cloaking device was to be found.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

oh--well maybe the fighters was the only rewaard then---I think cloak was too powerful
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
ijuin
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ijuin »

So, is there any reward for finishing Destinee's branch of the campaign, or do you just get the mission pay and a kiss?
Nur-Ab-Sal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Nur-Ab-Sal »

ijuin wrote:So, is there any reward for finishing Destinee's branch of the campaign, or do you just get the mission pay and a kiss?
Is a kiss not enough of a reward? ;-)
But at least this scene could be animated. ;-)

Shade and sweet water!

Stephan
If your life was a horse, you'd have to shoot it.
ijuin
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ijuin »

So...no cloak in the Catnip-to-the-Kilrathi route?
Peter1x9
Trader
Trader

Post by Peter1x9 »

They eliminated the cloak in the latest version.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

It became a problem when people played the bonus campaign first and got the cloak before playing the original campaigns. Ruined the experience a bit, so it was indeed removed.
Duke Derek
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Duke Derek »

would it not be possible to have some random event happen after you have finished the bonus missions and also the campaign which yields something like a cloak. maybe a charachter in a bar shows up and tries to offer you a mystery item and will only tell you what it is when you pay some large sum of money for it...
Nur-Ab-Sal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Nur-Ab-Sal »

Duke Derek wrote:would it not be possible to have some random event happen after you have finished the bonus missions and also the campaign which yields something like a cloak. maybe a charachter in a bar shows up and tries to offer you a mystery item and will only tell you what it is when you pay some large sum of money for it...
I would suggest something similiar:
Instead of money some fixers offer you enhancements for your ship if you fly their missions. Maybe another missile launcher or beam weapon slot, or the ability to buy a bigger reactor/shield.

Shade and sweet water!

Stephan
If your life was a horse, you'd have to shoot it.
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Solon Halwinder »

I think the cloak shouldn't've been removed...it's a very useful device. My suggestion for bringing it back would be to require you to actually buy it (as I recall, it had a buy/sell price of 259,000 credits) or perhaps to make it available only after a certain point.
Plasteel
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Plasteel »

I am looking for Destinee, but I can't find her anywhere. And so I am unable to even start the bonus missions. I remember, that I've seen her once somewhere but I don't remember where. Anyone can help?
ijuin
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ijuin »

Munchen refinery, Tingerhoff system. There is a jump point to Tingerhoff from Perry.
Malfious
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Malfious »

In regard to the cloak, I suggest taking note of something from the original star trek.
You can't fire when cloaked.
Simple yet effective. The cloak should use up MASSIVE amounts of power, so much so that firing or afterburning is impossible. That should even it out as it is still usable to avoid detection and run stealthy missions etc but not make you an uber god of space combat.
On another note, the revolutionaries in their stilettos are pretty tough.
"I'm just a lost tourist."
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Malfious wrote:In regard to the cloak, I suggest taking note of something from the original star trek.
You can't fire when cloaked.
Simple yet effective. The cloak should use up MASSIVE amounts of power, so much so that firing or afterburning is impossible. That should even it out as it is still usable to avoid detection and run stealthy missions etc but not make you an uber god of space combat.
On another note, the revolutionaries in their stilettos are pretty tough.
You weren't able to fire or use your shields...
yet the cloak screw up the balance of the game completly...
all missions work on the base of encounters, with the cloak the player was able to ignore all encounters and even to pass through asteroid fields with the autopilot.
This is why it was taken out and it's better this way...

BTW...I too was an advocate for the cloak in the beginning... ;)
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Hmm, we DO need to nerf the cloak a bit... how about make it use up either energy (and it shuts down when you're at zero energy, so you can only stay cloaked for X seconds at most) or jump fuel?
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

How about just making it take up like 10 cubic meters of upgrade volume, or some very high figure, anyways, so that if you install cloak you must give up many other types of upgrades. This would be more in keeping with canon, since both the kats and terrans cloaking devices were so big that ships had to be designed around them. Also, cloak isn't supposed to give you invisibility; only your radar blip goes away, but I can still see you with my eyes and shoot at you. At least that's how it is in Heart of the Tiger and The Price of Freedom.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Point there, but... I don't know, in WC3 you COULD cloak completely, and so could the strakhas.... in WC4 flying a Dragon would let you see an outline of a cloaked fighter, but the Dragon is a munchkin ship anyway.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Uhhh Stop...

I guess you guys are talking about WCU, not the Privateer Remake, right?
You should make this clear, I think....

I guess we all agree to: WCU cloaked/Remake uncloaked?
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Yeah, I was talking WCU.
Spirit, never mind if in WC3 cloak made you invisible. The books pulled a retcon and fixed that, already; let's just go for sanity, I say; invisibility is a) too powerful, and b) too retarded, as in "what kind of technology is that?"...
If we go with "radar cloak" then a) it will make more sense, and b) won't have to come up with all kinds of tricks for how to make it inconvenient.
It's still a mighty advantage to have radar cloak, let me add; and I think the upgrade volume cost being high is the best solution to offset that advantage, because then you're not dictating specific inconveniences, but it's still up to the player what other advantages to give up.
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chuck_starchaser wrote: It's still a mighty advantage to have radar cloak, let me add; and I think the upgrade volume cost being high is the best solution to offset that advantage, because then you're not dictating specific inconveniences, but it's still up to the player what other advantages to give up.
Yeah, but if you fight human players. But how is this going to change the AIs behaviour? Which is odd anyway. Will the player at all notice a change in the AI behaviour? This would be necessary, or this radar cloak wouldn't make much sence...

Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Sorry for intruding, but in what other ways do radars detect ships in space except for heatseeking? Sound like in sonars would be useless.
EDIT: I also know that there is no sound in space... hearing other ships would also be redicolous:D
Last edited by Kangaroo on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IIRC Radars don't work with heatseeking. It's an active scanner. They send an electro-magnetic wave which is reflected by the target. From this reflection the radar device can calculate the targets position.
Sonar wouldn't make sence at all. They calculate the targets position by sound which comes from the target. No sound in space - no sonar :)
Perhaps one could introduce one simillar form of passiv scan, but I don't know if this is an the agenda. It wouldn't make much sence though. A passiv scan would only be necessary if the target can locate you position, using your radar signals...
This would lead to the following. If there was a radar-cloak, those cloaked ships would need any form of passiv scan, call it sonar if you like, or they would lose their advantage.... :)

I conclude: You are a genius... ;)

klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Passive EM sensors:
  • InfraRed (heatseeking)
  • Radio (passive radar)
  • Visible spectrum (similar to starfinding)
  • Comm-band: passively pinpoint comm sources.
Active EM sensors: Radio (radar)

Non-EM sensors: magnetic mass detection - it's possible. I just never heared of long-range implementations of those, but there's no reason to believe it shouldn't be possible.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe