Nur-Ab-Sal
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Language

Post by Nur-Ab-Sal »

Nema wrote:I'm a German and so I want
to know how I can write the
languagefiles new.
If you mean with language files the manual this could you do without problems. The old game was an English but the manual was German. But it was sometimes very confusing. Some names were translated, some not.
In most cases, the original manual sounds better.

If you mean a translation of the game, I don't know if this is worth the trouble. You don't only have to worry about the displayed text (font, character length per line, etc.) but you have to translate the speech files as well, so you need persons willing to speak the text.

This would be a lot of work. And to be done in a good way, so that other translations would be possible too, there have to changes in the game engine.

Shade and sweet water!

Stephan
If your life was a horse, you'd have to shoot it.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

we're kinda waiting on better font support from ogre to start working on translations since most languages require something better than the 256 characters provided in ASCII (though german is not one of those)
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Nur-Ab-Sal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Nur-Ab-Sal »

hellcatv wrote:we're kinda waiting on better font support from ogre to start working on translations since most languages require something better than the 256 characters provided in ASCII (though german is not one of those)
ASCII has only 128 characters (7 bit), which is only enough for most English words (even in English there are words with accents).

8 bit is enough for most languages, but you would have to switch fonts (e.g. a West European font and an East European font). For Chinese and Japanese you need two bytes per character.

So I would hope, that Ogre has decent UTF-8/Unicode support.

Shade and sweet water!

Stephan
If your life was a horse, you'd have to shoot it.