Buy New Ship - It's damaged?

Forum For Privateer Remake
brandonyoung
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Buy New Ship - It's damaged?

Post by brandonyoung »

ok, I started a new game on Privateer Remake 1.2

I bought a new Galaxy ship, and I found on the upgrade screen that I had a >10,000 credit basic repair. It seems kinda bad to buy damaged goods, even when everything is working fine, I still have to pay that extra price eventually when I need to repair after a battle.

--Brandon
rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rockstar »

Ehm... that's always been like it appears in the remake. You don't buy new ships in Privateer - you never did. They are all second hand with some little "damages" like dirty floors, full ashtrays or something.
Seriously the basic repairs are for everyday damage. There are far more parts in a spaceship than just weapons, shields and other stuff you can buy at the upgrade store ingame. Normally you'll have to do basic repairs when shots bypass your armor and damage other systems or parts than listed in the damage report - like life-support, navigation system, consoles or simple plastic covers of whatever. You've ever seen a Star Trek spip after space fight? Although all systems are working again there is a lot of other damage done to the interior that needs weeks to fix. Privateer's always been quite a detailed game.

I have no idea how far this kinda damage influences ship stats.
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
Nur-Ab-Sal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Nur-Ab-Sal »

rockstar wrote:I have no idea how far this kinda damage influences ship stats.
At least it triggers the "reactor overload" problem far more often than in the old game.
In the old game you got your overload warning when your ships was really about to explode and your reactor was damaged. In the new game this can happen quite easily when your hull got some damage, even if your reactor has no scratch.
And if you got the overload warning, it's high time to repair, because you will not last long anymore.

Shade and sweet water!

Stephan
If your life was a horse, you'd have to shoot it.