Pick up the pilot mission

Forum For Privateer Remake
Charlie Whiskey
Merchant
Merchant

Pick up the pilot mission

Post by Charlie Whiskey »

Is this mission even possible? I repeated it at least 5 times over but I never even got within weapon range before that pair of cats destroyed the pod with missiles. Taunting them didn't work either.
Greate Pier
Trader
Trader

Post by Greate Pier »

If you mean one of the missions from the bonus campaign (given in Anapolis by Kaydence IIRC), I haven't had any problem with that one. When I added a tractorbeam to my centurion, the Kilrathi only appeared after I had picked up the pilot. Probably just a question of dumb luck I guess tho.

What may help is to just select the tractor beam, select the pilot as your target and lock it and go in at full speed (aferburners) with the tractorbeam already "firing" while underway. With a bit of luck, you just might get him in before he's totally wasted.

I did this mission in my trusty Centurion, but from what the shipdescriptions in the game say, a Stiletto seems a lot faster (1400 on ABs)
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

The stilleto is a lot faster but has a slower accleration. Makes some sense. :wink:
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Garashta
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Garashta »

I never chose to do "rescue the pilot" missions, because of this. That thing must be fixed in the next versions.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

They are good if you know what you are doing.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
zeo1234
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by zeo1234 »

It's also a matter of chance whether you are closer to the pilot or they are. There's no way to tell without wasting time.

So, since every second counts, in either case just lock the moment you enter the mission target area, the pilot would be auto selected so just hit "L" to lock so you know which way to head.

Then after burn like crazy, lower shield level if you need extra energy for afterburners. But don't activate the tractor until you get within 10,000 distance from the pilot since 2000 is the range of the tractor beam. And just lance the pilot with it.

Help's if your tractor is auto-targetting otherwise you may have to move about to get the beam to intercept the pilot.

Activating tractors when further away is chancy unless you are in a very fast ship since the tractor can only be maintained for up to 30 seconds at a time so unless you can close the gap in that time then you risk the beam cutting out on you just as you get into range and every second counts in those rescue the pilot missions.

Hopefully you'll enter the area closer to the pilot than the enemy ships but that won't always happen. So don't expect to succeed in the rescue mission all the time but that's part of the challenge.
HeyYou
Trader
Trader

Post by HeyYou »

Hhhhm, it seems the weapone ranges in my game have slipped a decimal point... Tractors only show a range of 200 meters..... I have been getting awfully close to stuff I want to pick up...... and I know my guns have a range of more than 300 meters..... Explains a lot.