4 Tachyon Guns (All Autotracking)
1 Tachyon Turret
Advanced Repair Drone
Level 3 Medium Shields (4)
Level 3 Medium Reactor
Level 3 ECM
Jump Drive
Afterburner and the other 2 engine Upgrades

Is there any way to improve this (legally), or is this a maxed out Centurion for Privateer? I'd especially like a better reactor, shields and if possible armor/hull but I haven't come across anything that'll fit on my ship :(

TIA,
GP
Master Pat
Trader
Trader

Post by Master Pat »

Forgot who said this but (some chinese phylosipher I think) here is a good piece of advice.

"An army of horses will be defeated by an army of spears,
an army of spears will be defeated by an army of bows,
and army of bows will be defeated by an army of horses."
Greate Pier
Trader
Trader

Post by Greate Pier »

I think that was one of the tutorial missions in Praetorian :p

So there's no way to get L4 Reactor/Shields for my Centurion then?
Master Pat
Trader
Trader

Post by Master Pat »

Don't think so, at least until you finish the main story, then you can upgrade it, not sure how much though.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

*shrugs*

Try experimenting with different gun loadouts. When I played priv with a centurion I always went for 4 tachyons too, but I think that now I could pull off 2 plasmas with two ions, because I have a better aim than back then.
Charlie Whiskey
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Charlie Whiskey »

The level 4 stuff only becomes available after you have triggered off the RF campaign. You've got the best stuff in the original campaign as far as I can remember, but I'd add 20 missiles to the mix.
Greate Pier
Trader
Trader

Post by Greate Pier »

yeah I had 20 DFs on that one, but I started over since I got stuck on the Steltek drone mission. So I edited myself some cash so I wouldn't have to play a couple of hours just making cash so I can have the same ship again. Now I dropped the DFs for a Repulsor/Tractor combo.

So far it works nicely, I'm having loads of fun with single ships and I'm soon going to try it on groups, see if it's still as much fun.

BTW, what's this I hear about people having fleets of ships? Am I correct in understanding they have a Drayman or other huge boat and carry them as fighters/wingmen? I'm a bit confused about this fleet thing since I haven't been able to fit more than 300 items in a Galaxy so far and a Tarsus takes up 20K item space it seems...
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

We have preliminary tactical combat support in WCU, you may want to try that. If you do, it's strongly recommended that you do NOT install WCU over PR -- PR is a lot more polished and a lot less prone to crashiness.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

spiritplumber wrote:We have preliminary tactical combat support in WCU, you may want to try that. If you do, it's strongly recommended that you do NOT install WCU over PR -- PR is a lot more polished and a lot less prone to crashiness.
I've really got to drag an old friend to the PC to see this. It's his fault I got addicted to Privateer.

Used to watch him play WC hours on end all afternoon, this might be the incentive he needs to get back into the PC stuff again ( he needs a hobby ).

Just the prospect of eventually being able to start out as a Kilrathi and use their tech is mindblowing.
Greate Pier
Trader
Trader

Post by Greate Pier »

Well, basically, I fly my fighters like Miggs (Lynch's goon). Just pull the trigger and don't let go. Then just fly around till nothing shoots at you anymore. So far it's worked good enough. Never more repair costs than the mission credits :) Then again, I'm still playing at Easier level
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Myself, I like to have as many guns as my reactor can handle. Then, I wait until the enemy ship is perfectly ligned on my sights, and fire until my reactor is depleted, what usually happens quite fast, but is a sure way of doing damage.

Just to compare, two neutron guns do as much damage as a missile. You just have to shoot when you are sure you will hit.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

I am like miggs too and found that either 2 lasers and 2 mesons worked really well. I then tried 4 lasers as they used less reactor power.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Night10194
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Night10194 »

I go a totally different route; lower shield power with a higher reactor. Lets me use my afterburner a lot while still having enough juice for a high-power volley of Plasma or Neutrons.
Been flying in Wing Commander for 10 years now, and I'm convinced it's why I hate cats!
ijuin
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ijuin »

I prefer to get the highest shields but run them at 2/3 power when I need more power for guns and afterburners. That way I have the option of running them at full strength when I wish.
He who lives by the sword . . . gets shot by he who lives by the gun.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:I am like miggs too and found that either 2 lasers and 2 mesons worked really well. I then tried 4 lasers as they used less reactor power.
This gun combo is specially deadly on a Demon. Its tight gun clustering and high speed make it the near perfect run-in-and-slash fighter.