Repulser beam

Forum For Privateer Remake
Charlie Whiskey
Merchant
Merchant

Repulser beam

Post by Charlie Whiskey »

I'm trying to think of a purpose for it. I suppose it is useful for pushing an enemy away since the AI loves to fly circles around me trying to get behind me, but does it really work?
Master Pat
Trader
Trader

Post by Master Pat »

Man I was in the same boat as you, but I put one on my galaxy and now I won't go anywhere without it!

Man not only does it push them away (missiles too) but it screws up there flight. Sometimes keeping them spinning in front of you. I let my turrents tear him apart.

Also I've use my repulser and tractor together for some strange effects! The pilot doesn't know what the hell to do! "it's pushing me away! No wait, its pulling me in!!! AWWWWWWW! screw it I'm getting away from this guy!" :twisted:
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Master Pat wrote:Man I was in the same boat as you, but I put one on my galaxy and now I won't go anywhere without it!

Man not only does it push them away (missiles too) but it screws up there flight. Sometimes keeping them spinning in front of you. I let my turrents tear him apart.
:twisted:
Sounds great to me :) So, you place two of these in the front hull weapon slots or just one?
Master Pat
Trader
Trader

Post by Master Pat »

I have a repulse and tractor in front, using up both my missile slots..
I wonder if a repulse would speed a missile up if you fired it into your beam?? That would be sweet.
Duke Derek
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Duke Derek »

what's the deal with the damage that it's listed to do? it says it does something rediculous like 162,000 MJ of damage or something, how can this be?

what i am also wondering is what is the mundane use that the description mentions? i cant think of any non-combat uses for it
Charlie Whiskey
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Charlie Whiskey »

What's your tactic? I just tried with my Centurion but a light fighter usually moves across my windscreen so fast that the repulser didn't have much of an effect even with an autotracker.
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

I always figured it would be like ramming only without hurting you. Which on its own would be pretty nifty, but I never use beams. Even tractor beams. I use whats on my turrets and nothing else. Wrong or right, its what I do :D
I love Wing Commander.
I love playing Wing Commander so much I don't know what to do.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Thats all the proof I need to know that I exist!
Elite

Post by klauss »

Duke Derek wrote:what's the deal with the damage that it's listed to do? it says it does something rediculous like 162,000 MJ of damage or something, how can this be?
It's the pushforce.
It would be quite simple to change things so that it says "pushforce: " instead of "damage: ". It should be done.
Duke Derek wrote:what i am also wondering is what is the mundane use that the description mentions? i cant think of any non-combat uses for it
Think hard.
If you can't... there's the answer hidden in this message.

It's a teaser - to make people like you wonder about it.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Ge0rgy
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Ge0rgy »

pushing asteroids away? *lol*
Master Pat
Trader
Trader

Post by Master Pat »

Ok, I'll tell you what I do. I will afterburn until I'm at my full speed 750 (I'm in a Galaxy) push and hold my neutonian flight button (I know that's not what it is really called) But at that point I'm no longer using any energy to afterburn. The enemy has to burn to catch up to me, thus depleating most if not all of it's own fuel. I turn my ship and am flying backwards give me a straight shot at him coming after me (turn your tracking (k) off)I fire my tachons and repulse at the same time as they approach. It works great. If there is mutliple enemies coming at you, you might take some hits, if they start into your armor just turn your ship to one side or the other (your flight path remains unchanged) to let your sheilds recharge. I have two turrents so they are always firing. I've had good success with this tactic.
The whole point of the repulser is to keep them from getting close to you. As the burn up to me, the repulse pushes them away causing to a)change course. b)keep the same course, and continue afterburning. c) stop afterburning, in which they loose ground really fast! d) all of the above. And while all of this is going on, my turrents are taking shots as fast as the can.
Duke Derek
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Duke Derek »

what's this newtonian flight thingymabobby?
Master Pat
Trader
Trader

Post by Master Pat »

I quess it turns off all your manuvering jets. As long as you have the button held in you do not change speed, whether you are afterburning or not. So if you hit it once you have top burn speed, you do not slow down. Your ship will stay on the same path, so you can turn your ship anyway you want but your path doesn't change. So you can fly toward a jump point, and turn your ship completely backwards and shoot anything that is chasing you, yet still be heading toward the jump point, or where ever you are heading. I don't recommend using this in an astroid field... :shock:
Duke Derek
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Duke Derek »

ooh, what button is this? i've been wanting something for this, getting my skids in proper form. wicked

you should be using velocity not speed when describing this, your speed doesnt change if you're going round a corner constantly on full afterburn </pedant> :oops:
Master Pat
Trader
Trader

Post by Master Pat »

My fault! :(
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

it's tilde and it's commented out in vegastrike.config
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Greate Pier
Trader
Trader

Post by Greate Pier »

The tilde key (with or without pressing shift) doesn't seem to do anything for me and neither does pressing F9 (match target's speed), unless all ships I encounter fly at or above 500 speed continuously.

I'm playing Privateer Remake 1.2 on a laptop with 1.5 GHz, 512 MBs of RAM and Win XP (SP 2 not installed).

It's not funkilling not to have those options, but I think it could make my games more interesting if I do get them to work,

TIA,
GP
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

As the previous post stated: it was removed from vegastrike.config because people were getting confused by it, and it was non-canon anyway. Find the SheltonKey in vegastrike.config, and uncomment it.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

When I use my Repulser Beam the ships I aim it at end up in my cargo hold.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Starship_Gunner
Explorer
Explorer

Tracktor/repulsor combo; nice

Post by Starship_Gunner »

I had a centurion fitted with fusion/plasma cannons and tractor/repulsor instead of missiles. I got autotracking on all mounts and maxxed all the armor/hull upgrades(i think). anyway, I used tractor/repulsor to fix bogeys within my autotracking's killzone and i racked up gothris everytime. sweet.
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Solon Halwinder »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:When I use my Repulser Beam the ships I aim it at end up in my cargo hold.
We had this discussion already in the Parallel Universe thread; Repulsor Beams are basically a copy-paste version of the Tractor Beam with the repulsor effect thrown in and the tractor-in effect not removed.

I got killed a lot in a Tarsus MK2 when fighting repulsor-turret equipped Draymans.
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
--Geetra, frustrated mage (Magic: The Gathering)
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Suggest you turn it off for now (just comment it in weapons.xml)
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.