Forum For Privateer Remake
KnightLight
Trader
Trader

Do I ever get that gun back?

Post by KnightLight »

My beautiful Steltek gun... :cry:
Lost forever?
And I mean get it back without hacks. Perhaps later I'll play a hacked game with a centurion with level 9 reactor and shield with 4 steltek guns or something.
(I've yet to cheat in this game)
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Nope. Never. Yes it is sad, but true.
On the fact you haven't cheated yet, good show!
Cheers!
I love Wing Commander.
I love playing Wing Commander so much I don't know what to do.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Thats all the proof I need to know that I exist!
Trader

Post by KnightLight »

Oh well... will have to settle for my 4 fusion cannons then.
Silly gothri pilots playing chicken with me
Charge in, empty gun capacitors, fire off 3-4 proton torps... dodge return fire, dead gothri, woohoo.
Who needs to cheat? I admit though thateverything is much nicer with RF-class upgrades, even up against beefed up Retros.
Telcontar
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Yes, there is a chance (SPOILER)

Post by Telcontar »

There is an opportunity at the end of the RF campaign:

This works in Priv. 1.2:

=== final spoiler warning ===

On Eden (the Retro planet), you can buy a Salthi at the temple *before* doing the final mission where you go after Jones. Look for a topic saying something like "Pray for Ship" on the temple screen. Like on some pirate bases, you cannot only save the game, but also buy a new ship.

The Salthi contains the original Steltek gun (how lucky do you have to be to get that single Salthi with the original gun) and a mass-produced one. The latter one is actually worse than the fusion cannon IIRC.

You can then swap ships back to your ship, as a Salthi is not exactly the beefiest ship for the final mission. After that mission, you can transport said Salthi to any other planet with the "My Fleet" menu for 50,000 credits. You can sell the Steltek guns and buy them back for your primary ship.

However, I have never used them. The new fusion cannons from RF are so strong that the game is already too easy. I don't want to make it even easier :-)

But if you stick to the Salthi, it's a fair trade for an otherwise not-so-great ship.
Duke Derek
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Duke Derek »

i did this 4 times (=1.8million credits) to get 4 Steltek guns for my Centurion only to decide that they werent that great anyway and went back to using Fusions. i didnt want to waste my lovely effort in getting them though so 2 of them went on my old Tarsus, for no apparent reason

yes, the Mass Steltek is actually terrible, exactly the same as the other one in all the negative aspects (refire rate, power consumption) but causes much less damage, from what i remember its not as good as Tachyons
KnightLight
Trader
Trader

Post by KnightLight »

But you can't get the Boosted Gun back?
Ah well.
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Wow, I didn't even know i could get the original steltek gun back. Athough i am very happy with my two fusion two plasma combo of EVIL. Plus Dumbfires, but my guns are so BA i hardly use missles anymore.
I love Wing Commander.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Trader

Post by KnightLight »

I use quad fusion and proton torpedos. Nothing beats ending a strafing run on a Kamekh with 4 of those babies.
Duke Derek
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Duke Derek »

i've mentioned this in another topic but now i've actually caught one of you.

what is it that makes you choose Protons over Dumbfires? in my humble opinion Protons are a bit rubbish :D
KnightLight
Trader
Trader

Post by KnightLight »

What makes Protons better is that you can fire them off in rapid succession. In the time it takes me to fire off 4 dumbfires I can fire 20 torpedos. They are also cheaper, which offbalances the lower damage. Back when I had just tachyons, I could get a guaranteed first-run kill of a Gothri by emptying my gun capacitors at it and firing 3 or 4 torpedos at it before I pulled up to avoid the return fire. Frankly though, I have so much trouble staying on a Kamekh's tail, since it just sits in one place and rotates, that I usually just chip it apart with guns and only use torps to finish it off.
Duke Derek
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Duke Derek »

thing is though, i like to have some spare missiles just in case of further ambushes - or a random capship i fancy converting to it's constituent parts
Hitman_MT
Trader
Trader

Post by Hitman_MT »

Where i can get the fusion cannons and the other new parts? I am in RF campain now.
Hitman_MT
Trader
Trader

Post by Hitman_MT »

only place i found the Fusion cannon is on board of the Paradigm. I have do a cargo mission to the Paradigm and then i see the cannons in the ship dealer. Is there some more new equipment in RF ?
rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rockstar »

Engine Enhancements Heavy
Repair Systems Research
Reactor Heavy
Shield Heavy
Mounted Guns Heavy (Turrets as well)

...the detailed upgrades you'll have to find yourself - just for the happy moment you come over them :]
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
Dire Wolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dire Wolf »

KnightLight wrote:But you can't get the Boosted Gun back?
Ah well.
The booster wears off ....
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Duke Derek wrote:i've mentioned this in another topic but now i've actually caught one of you.

what is it that makes you choose Protons over Dumbfires? in my humble opinion Protons are a bit rubbish :D
First: Torpedos have a much longer range. This makes them very effective if you want to destroy a friendly target which goes a straight course. (It goes sometimes so fast, that other ships of the same faction, which are around, don't turn hostile towards you.

Second: Torpedos do direct damage to armor. While the shield must be down to do damage to armor with a dumbfire, a torpedos damages the enemy vessel with every hit.

Third: Torpedos are more precise than dumbfires...
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Dumbfires have there own advantages though.

1) They hit HARD. 1 hit from them kills a talon. Period. Two for just about anything else thats not a capship.

2) The "proximity" effect. You don't have to hit a target directly to make em go off, making them useful for people like me who can't aim worht squat.

3) Also, you because it does area damage, they can wipe out two to three ships with one or two missles, if you get them bunched up.

Just one question. Can torps hurt capships through there shields as well? Cuz that would rock.
Cheers!
I love Wing Commander.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

blue_paladin42 wrote:
Just one question. Can torps hurt capships through there shields as well? Cuz that would rock.
Cheers!
AFAIK they do, but you caan fire 20 torpedos at a drayman and you are still far away from killing it. One should never compare the Priv torpedos with the WC shipkillers...
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Don't worry about that. Even the description of the proton torpedo tells you the difference.:P I just wondered if it worked on all ships the same.
I love Wing Commander.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!