Centurion turret tractor insanity.

Forum For Privateer Remake
KnightLight
Trader
Trader

Centurion turret tractor insanity.

Post by KnightLight »

No matter what I do, I can't tractor in lifepods with that thing. Between the narrow field of view between the Centurion's engine plumes and the fact that they are moving targets, I can't catch a single one. And that seems to be the only thing I've ever seen a pirate drop. So if I want to snap up those creeps and make them pay back the cost I incurred blowing their ships up, I need to
modify a missile hardpoint to mount a tractor beam, while leaving a redundant one on the back.
Blargh.
Any tips from more experienced privateers?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

This will be fixed in 1.3 (it's already fixed in WCU, hopefully the PR kitties will copy my solution ^-^ )
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Porksmuggler
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Porksmuggler »

i target and match speed with the captive, then turn 180 degrees and then use the TurretAIOn command. Just make sure you have the turret set to just tractor beam, or you cook the pilot.

side note: i miss the old sprite graphics for blasting a pilot. i had a savegame on the original with around 50 captured pilots, and would release them into space just to blast them and watch all the bits and pieces float around like a cloud of arms, legs, and helmets (now thats pirate pay back)
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

spiritplumber wrote:This will be fixed in 1.3 (it's already fixed in WCU, hopefully the PR kitties will copy my solution ^-^ )
Never used it in WCU... what is your solution?
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
Duke Derek
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Duke Derek »

my solution is to use a Demon instead, it's not quite as tank like as the Centurion but hell it's fast. especially with the speed enhancers

i use the rubbish missile mount (only fits 1 torpedo on it) as a tractor, it also has the advantage of being in the middle, i cant hit the broadside of a Drayman with just the outer gun mounts...
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Know how you feel Duke. Autotrackers are my best friends in this game, what with all the enemys having taken dancing lessons. The demon's gunt mounts are definetely user friendly.
I love Wing Commander.
I love playing Wing Commander so much I don't know what to do.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Thats all the proof I need to know that I exist!
Trader

Post by KnightLight »

Where do I buy a Demon anyway? I probably won't what with all the money I put into my Centurion, but I never saw the Demon for sale at all.
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Gotta beat the Palan missions first.
I love Wing Commander.
I love playing Wing Commander so much I don't know what to do.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Thats all the proof I need to know that I exist!
Trader

Post by achen1 »

I used to slowly fly past the pod, stop and turn 180 degrees, lock with turret, and beam it aboard.

But it is kinda small, now I just lock with my guns and destroy them to space debris. :D

Sucks the confeds say pirate or kilrathi prisoners are contraband though. I should get bounty money on those.
HUMPERS
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by HUMPERS »

I have a Centurion and the best way to overcome the tractor turret insanity is to fit a tractor beam onto one of the missile mounts at the front, so you can fly up to cargo and tractor it in within your line of vision. I personally don't use missiles but use proton torpedoes (10) in the other spare missile mount. With 4 fusion guns at the front and 2 on the rear turret your ship is quite deadly.
Garashta
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Garashta »

That's not a centurion's problem, it's a problem off all ships. It's sickening hard to capture anything (especially pilots!!) with the tractor beam of the turrets!!
zeo1234
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by zeo1234 »

Could always use the automatic method.

Switch to turret view, switch guns to tractor beam only, then switch back to cockpit. Target pilot and commant turret to fire on target and it will tractor pilot for you when you fly by.