suggestions / things that don't make sense

Forum For Privateer Remake
shams42
Explorer
Explorer

suggestions / things that don't make sense

Post by shams42 »

Today I finished the first campaign and am currently working through the RF camaign. I wanted to post my thoughts on some aspects of the game that, to me, could use some improvement. I only played the original Privateer for a few minutes at a friend's house, so I don't have the original game experience in mind when I make these points.

1) The movement of enemy ships is just... odd. Especially the highly maneuverable ones like the Dralthi, Demon, and Talon. They move like they don't have any inertia at all. They zoom off in random directions during combat as though they had unidirectional engines. While this does make the dogfights more challenging, it also makes the autotrackers almost mandatory for survival. The autotrackers would not be so needed if the ships could only accelerate in the direction that they are pointing. And it would give a much more realistic feel to the combat as well.

2) I shouldn't be able to hear sound effects (aka, missile firings) from so far away. Especially when the other ships are too far away to appear on my radar. I think the volume of the sound effects should be more tightly correlated with the distance from the object.

3) Why does my turret talk to me? It always says, "welcome to the happy hunting grounds" at strange moments. Is there supposed to be another person in the turret talking to me?

4) I guess this is just a WC thing, but why can't I use my radar on ships that are behind me?

5) Why do Confed patrols always ask me to maintain my current heading and speed for a search when I'm in a dogfight or in the middle of an asteroid field? Can't they see that I'm being ambushed by Kilrathi and come to my aid rather than trying to search my vessel? And sometimes when this happens, there aren't any Confed ships visible on radar!

6) It would be nice if your character developed some kind of a reputation beyond what's already included in the game. I mean, if you've wasted hundreds of Kilrathi / Retros /Pirates / etc., and you encounter a lone ship from one of these factions, shouldn't they think twice about attacking you? It would improve the flow of the game, IMO, if you didn't get jumped by 1-2 ships at each nav point and instead had to face less frequent but more organized attempts on your life from enemy factions.

7) Campaign missions should pay a lot more! If your character is really out to make money, why should he take these very dangerous and difficult campaign missions when he can make 3x as much from any random cargo run in the mission computer? In fact, I had to spend a little time here in the forums to find out how to actually find the campaign. I came across whats-her-name in the bar, and she told me that I had to abandon my ship! Why would I take that chance for only 10k credits?

8) Kilrathi presence in the Perry system should provoke some kind of Confed response!

9) NPCs should flee far more often than they do. If you are a pirate, and you attacked a cargo ship that started kicking your butt, would you hang around to get destroyed? No, you'd run away and pick a softer target.

10) The campaign missions really don't make much sense, if you think about it. You get an artifact which makes you curious. You find out that it's priceless, yet you can't ever sell it! Why even hold onto it? In the mean time, you find an enemy gun out in wild space, which causes a funky drone to follow you around. The drone can't be killed, unless an ancient alien civilazation reappears to "boost" the gun. Hmm... I hope they don't make a movie out of this!

11) The dialog in the fight with the drone scrolls by way too fast to read.

12) It would be nice to have some additional communication options. For instance, it would be nice to be able to request aid from friendly ships. Similarly, when you try to help Confeds kill a Dralthi, it would be nice if you could ask them to disengage so that you can kill it without accidentally detroying any of their ships. Earning the Confed medal in the first campaign should give you some street cred with the Confed pilots.

13) It would be really cool if your character could talk back to the bartenders. Especially when they give you outdated information. Your character could tell them, "well, actually the Palan blockade was broken..."

14) It would be really super cool if, say, the Confeds paid a bounty on any Kilrathi ship. After killing one, you could tracter in a bit of debris and then get paid for it at Perry Naval base. The same could be true for pirates, Kilrathi, etc.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm really enjoying the game, by the way. I don't mean these as harsh criticisms at all. I just think that, as good as it is, it could be better. There's always GG for the purists out there.
shams42
Explorer
Explorer

Post by shams42 »

Oh, and you should be able to view the maps while docked! Because it sucks to get jumped by bag guys while you are trying to use the map in-flight. And once you've set a course with the map, it would be really cool to get point-to-point flight instructions in the cockpit like you do during a mission.
shams42
Explorer
Explorer

Post by shams42 »

When you have two missle racks of the same type of missle, it would be useful to be able to choose between single- and double-firing modes, as you can when you carry two different missle types.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

you can hit the pause key and manipulate the map just fine in flight
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
shams42
Explorer
Explorer

Post by shams42 »

Dang, you're right. That's cool! Thanks for the tip.
Charlie Whiskey
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Charlie Whiskey »

3) Why does my turret talk to me? It always says, "welcome to the happy hunting grounds" at strange moments. Is there supposed to be another person in the turret talking to me?
The guy keeps saying "if you are smart, you'd watch your back!" to me. :wink: I mean, Mr Rear Gunner, I don't want to know about it, that's YOUR job mate! But otherwise I think it is cool to know I've a teammate on my ship.

And the missiles, if I have two rackful of the same type sometimes a pair goes off when I press the trigger but sometimes only singles. It would be nice if I can toggle that.
KnightLight
Trader
Trader

Post by KnightLight »

Something that makes no sense to me is that ever since I bought the shield regenerator, whenever my shields are recharging my afterburner drain drops. Shouldn't recharging shields actually drain more power than full shields?
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Charlie Whiskey wrote:
The guy keeps saying "if you are smart, you'd watch your back!" to me. :wink: I mean, Mr Rear Gunner, I don't want to know about it, that's YOUR job mate! But otherwise I think it is cool to know I've a teammate on my ship.
It's because the turret ai is identical or at least related to the hunter ai, AFAIK.
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
Az
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Az »

KnightLight wrote:Something that makes no sense to me is that ever since I bought the shield regenerator, whenever my shields are recharging my afterburner drain drops. Shouldn't recharging shields actually drain more power than full shields?
That's from the original - while your shields are down they use less energy. It kinda makes sense when you think about it, less EM shield = less energy drain (...sorta).

To be honest I don't mind it though, it gives you a little energy bonus if you've been battered a bit :wink:
Ge0rgy
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Ge0rgy »

well, at least to point 10, the story until you defeat the drone, was just the original privateer story plot!

so no one here is responsible for that.

and i think its not that odd as well.
the artifact is somewhat priceless, but yet rare. so as you are a privateer, seeking for the ultimate treasure out there, you certainly keep the artifact because it can become valueable if you find out what it is.

As you do later with prof. monkhouse.

then you want to see what this "map" shows, and so you explore the new systems and find an old steltek base.
well, that gun is interesting, but you did not know to this point, that there is a last guardian of the steltek around. namely the drone.
left behind by the steltek to guard their technology from coming to wrong hands.
And either protect or destroy steltek-technology.

Thats why it follows you.
And the alien boosts your gun only because you naturally want to keep it!
And thus the drone will keep following you, and he has to help you to get rid of the drone, becuse it has actually caused enough death in gemini. the steltek doesn't seem to be a cruel species.

so to this point i think the campaign is not that odd. it keep to its story. In the last sequence you can also see that steltek-scout pulling that derelict (where you had the gun from) away.
So after this point your artifact and the gun on your ship are the last remainings of the steltek in gemini.

somehow the plots in that sort of games always have some... well... interesting aspects.

greetigns,
Ge0rgy
hunger
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by hunger »

I'd say this game is too old to be a good game in modern terms. There are other (newer, more refined) space trade/combat sims out there (umm.. let's see.. X2 - The Threat (average at best), X3 - Reunion, Freelancer...).

Privateer may be a classic and it should be left as such. I'd say it's time to let go of this old-timer and move on. I mean let's face it... in human years this game is like 150 years old or something like that. :P

Maybe after a year of development this could get a nice game but right now it just has too many bugs, questonable features and it lacks some features. All these really suck out the enjoyment and replace it with frustration and confusion.

I personally will put an end to the masochism (playing Privateer) and keep an eye out for this. Maybe in the future...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

@hunger: feel free to list said bugs, so that they can be fixed.

Personally, although Freelancer is a great game, it is far behind Privateer in gameplay terms. You can't really develop your character in Freelancer, although they try to convince you that you can... but in Privateer, piracy, commerce and bounty hunting are all both potentially profitable and "legitimate" (in gaming terms) ways of playing.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: suggestions / things that don't make sense

Post by Solon Halwinder »

shams42 wrote:4) I guess this is just a WC thing, but why can't I use my radar on ships that are behind me?
You can on lower difficulties, and I know there's a variable that can be changed in one of the configuration files to do the same on higher difficulties. Canon-wise, I believe it's because your radar system is mounted facing forward.
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
--Geetra, frustrated mage (Magic: The Gathering)
ijuin
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ijuin »

Which variable would this be? I tried changing the radar cone field in the ships.xls file, but I didn't see any change.
He who lives by the sword . . . gets shot by he who lives by the gun.
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Re: suggestions / things that don't make sense

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

shams42 wrote:
4) I guess this is just a WC thing, but why can't I use my radar on ships that are behind me?
I know... It's an old question but answering old questions seems to be fun right now...

If you like to use all space radar, just go into the units subdirectory. There you got units.cvs and units180.cvs. Rename units.cvs in something like unitscvsbackup.cvs and units180.cvs in units.cvs and after this, all radars will work as all space radar systems.... even behind you;)
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.