Very difficult / impossible missions

Forum For Privateer Remake
John Cordell
Mercenary
Mercenary

Very difficult / impossible missions

Post by John Cordell »

Which missions were very difficult or impossible without cheating?
Privateer Gemini Gold
privateer.sourceforge.net
Wolfhound
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Wolfhound »

So far, Oxford 3 and Palan 3. I also just narrowly defeated the drone, but since it's the "boss" I expect that.
John Cordell
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by John Cordell »

..and what about the Rightous Fire missions?
Privateer Gemini Gold
privateer.sourceforge.net
Wolfhound
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Wolfhound »

I just started them this morning so I can't report on them yet.
achen1
Trader
Trader

Post by achen1 »

Oxford 3 is possible after a few (10s and 10s of) tries. Palan blockade mission is impossible. I barely finished the first wave, then the second wave finished me off pretty fast. I ONLY died about a million times in my trusty Centurion before I...ahem...switched to...excel-upgraded version.... :)

Both bonus plot (only did one branch) and RF are possible without resorting to cheating.
skaorn
Explorer
Explorer

Wingcats

Post by skaorn »

Wolfhound wrote:So far, Oxford 3 and Palan 3. I also just narrowly defeated the drone, but since it's the "boss" I expect that.
I didn't have much problem with these, then again I had some help. I some how got on the good side of the Empire and they sent a one of their heavies (I want to call them Gratha even though that was WCI). I sadly had to destroy him when he turned on the transports though. As for Palan 3 they sent 4 Dralthi and 2 Heavies and we mopped the floor with the Hunters.

Come to think of it the only reason I beat Palan 1 was because I got some help from the cats too.
hellofriends
Explorer
Explorer

Post by hellofriends »

Palan 1 and 3 were the most difficult for me. I had to land on the planet like 30 times to repair my ship to survive...it cost at least 300,000-500,000. 1 was worse than 3 by far. Rygannon 3 gave me some trouble, but only because I didn't know about the bugs with it. Drone was fairly easy for me, as long as I kept outta the way of friendly fire. You can save yourself some travel time in that battle by docking with and saving on the paradigm, then jumping back through the portal(if you die, that is. you'll spawn right next to the portal). The Steltek will talk to you again, and re-transport you to the final battle, restarting the script. Or just use it for repairs. Righteous Fire seemed painfully easy to me, what with all the ship upgrades you get when you start it up. Fusion cannons most of all, but the various speed/shield/reactor upgrades too. Maybe salthis should be more powerful? In the final RF mission, they didn't seem to have enough battery power to fire their stelteks very often, and it was quite easy as well.
Tragos
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by Tragos »

hello to the forum since this is my first port

Oxford missions are easy if you switch to easiest switch speed to 0 and use afterburner to navigate.

Palan 3 is imposible.
yziser
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by yziser »

Seriously, Palan 3 miission isnt that difficult
i see many people posting about it being impossible with a fully upgraded centurion and i cant understand why.

Heres my tip: bring in 2-3 wingmen, buy 20 photon torpedos.
once you autopilot into the nav point afterburn abit, then turn 180 degrees, then you will see the demons gathered together. Next simply blast like 12 torpedos in a second, that should kill atleast 4 of them
Next just lock and fire while shooting the rest of your torpedos
everything should be very quickly, kill each demon in like 5-7 seconds until you destroy the last

Also watch your back shield. if you are currently chasing a demon and you suddenly get trashed from behind that means there's a demon right on your tail. quickly turn 180 degrees unleash 2 torpedos and shoot abit.
Its an easy kill because hes pretty close on your tail.

After about 1 minute the nav point is clear 8)
Justus_Cade
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Justus_Cade »

Palan 3 wasn't overly difficult for me, at the time I was on friendly terms with the Kilrathi, and there were alot of Kilrathi lurking around Palan when I was doing these missions. The mercs had me and the cats to worry about, made short work of them basically. I did have to land to patch up a few times though, but wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

One of my old tactics from the old days was ramming ships... I don't do that in PR, but used to my Centurion would be like a missile for the first few fighters and then I'd just waste the others. Talon's were a blast to take down like this. Demon's were a bit more difficult, and I could only take down like 2 before hull damage, but it was enough to bring the odds to my favor.

Oxford 3 was difficult without autotracker... once I upgraded my cannons with autotracker it wasn't nearly as difficult, but the Drayman did suffer alot of damage... more than I would have liked... but the Drayman made it to it's destination.
Destruction of the empty spaces is my one and only crime.
Hadou
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Hadou »

Currently I'm stuck on Palan 1 mission. I think what is making this most difficult is that when you autopilot in there are 4 demons within 2000meters of me. Which means I have no shields within 5seconds on the fight.

I'm playing on medium difficulty at the moment, I can't imagine any harder though. I'm probably going to try to afterburn in so I can at least have some room to work with and maybe run a few more missions for autotracking. But aside from that I've had 0 trouble with any other missions. I think the most, up until Palan, was 3 total tries to complete a mission. Currently using 4 Tachyons in my Centurion. I'm determined to beat this mission without using Wingmen or landing on the base. I'll see how afterburning in goes though, cause if I can take down 1-2 in the first pass (like in the original) then this should be a lot easier.
Wendy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Wendy »

Learn to seed the ground with missiles. WHile FF missiles are great, you need a lock. Get Heat seakers or torps. As you auto in, in the last second or two of auto flight launch your first volley. Come out guns blazing with your afterburners on full. Do NOT worry about hitting friendlies.

Streak across the battleground, turn around and go back at 'em like a maniac. Or a Mainiac. -- It's a cultural thing. Drive in Maine traffic some time, you'll see.

Anyway, this is one time you want to be on the guns hard and heavy for the first moments of battle.

Count. Every time you shoot a missile, SECONDS COUNT. On Four fire again. Both tubes. If you use torpedos, shoot five in a hurry.

Torpedo Room, give me a full spread....

Whatever you do, do NOT keep a steady heading or speed.

There, done... Only took me...oh...twenty or thirty...DOZEN tries. That's why I have a cheat game. One where I can run that series with four boosted steltek guns with an energy usage 1/100 of the actual gun, five times the range with a 0.1 second refire rate and an armour and hull rating of over 300, level 9 shields, level 9 generator and generator capacitance.

Just a little cheating. Not much

Nasty little buggers....

W.
=============================
Don't laugh, you ASKED me to break it!
=============================
I find television very educational.
Everytime someone turns on a set,
I go in another room and read a book.
--Groucho Marx
==============================
shams42
Explorer
Explorer

Post by shams42 »

I am currently stuck on Palan 3. I didn't have much trouble with the Oxford missions. I've probably attempted P3 25 times now. In all cases, my ship is destroyed within 30 seconds of being attacked by the demons.

I am in a fully equipped Centurion. I have 4 autotracked Meson blasters, a Meson turret, and two autotracked missle launchers. I have tried both torpedos and dumbfire missles. I have tried purchasing wingmen. (Incidentally, the 2 Talon wingmen that I am supposed to be provided hardly ever appear).

I am at the limit of my patience with this mission. Can someone offer more advice on how to prevail? Barring that, can you help me cheat? ;)

By the way, this is my first post. I'm really digging VegaStrike and the Privateer remake. Thanks everyone for your hard work.
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Ijust remembered the wierdes thing about the palan missions. Its some sort of bug, but it let me beat them without autotrackers. I was in a centurion, and getting eaten alive each attempt, so i tried using my galaxy(the thing is a tank after all) and I shipped it from New detroit. I took off, and the hunters were all friendly with me. Well, I can't beat the mission without killing them, but as I moved in to attack, I noticed something. A wing of dralthis was attacking them. I jusat sat there and watched as the demons got both sides killed each other off. Eventually one Demon remained, and I massacred him. It should be noted that the kilrathi were on friendly temrs with me up until the fourth palan mission. Switching to the galaxy worked on palan 1, 2 ,and 3
I love Wing Commander.
I love playing Wing Commander so much I don't know what to do.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Thats all the proof I need to know that I exist!
Star Pilot

Post by Hadou »

I finished the palan missions and now am I on my way to completeing the Charting missions.

The way I did the Palan 3 mission (I actually think its easier than Palan 1) is with a fully upgraded centurion, 4 tachyons and 4 autotracking on them. Anyways the trick is to never, ever, stop hitting your afterburners. This will stop them from it being like 6-7 on your ship and rather spread them out. Make sure you turret is activated (free fire) before autoing in. Once in pick a ship and blast the hell out of it and fire 2 missiles (I used FF) and in theory if your able to blast it while its charging you kill it. Switch to another one that is charging you and fire 2 more. Rinse and repeat.

Don't chase them down because you'll get killed from behind. You gotta take them out in a few seconds each and hopefully no more than 2 missiles on each.

Anyways I've beat it 3 times now, because its gltiched/crashed no me. And the final time I did it solo, no wingmen no kilrathi.

I personally think its trash that when your on campaign missions its possible to get enough aid that you don't even have to try.
Hell on palan 1 on one of my tries there was a Kamekh, 2 gorthis and 1 dralthi. I didn't have to do anything to take them down. I felt bad so I beat it, eventually on my own.
shams42
Explorer
Explorer

Post by shams42 »

I just beat it!!!

Here's my secret: Do NOT go directly to the planet. Go to one of the jump points. Go from the jump point to the planet. When you get near the planet, you'll drop out of autopilot and will be under attack. If you get a chance, fire off a pair of DF missles at a target. Get near the planet and stay there. Take out as many targets as possible (you'll probably onle get one or two). When your armor starts taking heat, land on the planet and repair.

Take off again. You'll immediately come under attack. Try to take out a couple of ships, then land again. Don't go far from the planet. Re-arm and repair, then fly another sortie. After a few cycles of this, you'll have killed them all.

Note that a heavily damaged Demon might run. If he runs, you'll have to find him at one of the other Nav points in the system.
Hadou
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Hadou »

I call that cheating.
Hitman_MT
Trader
Trader

Post by Hitman_MT »

i did oxford 3 with the tarsus (not upgradet). Palan 3 was the most difficult mission for me. I have try it 4 times. I have a full upgradet Centurion with 4 Plasma guns + autotracking. I didnt use a Torpedo aswell. A deamon die with 2 full hits. in 15 sec i kill 4 ships. But the Centurion has very bad shields. So you need to dance to not get much hits. I landing 1 time at Palan for repair and after i kill the rest.
TJ01
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by TJ01 »

I find the jump to gamma mission impossible for some reason. I am surrounded by a dozen dralthis as soon as I enter the system, and my centurion gets blasted to pieces in no time. I can't even outrun them since they seem to be able to afterburn and fire at me simultaneously, which would suggest that their reactor must be at least one level above their shield I guess.

The only way I can ever complete this mission is by reverting to my demon. Strangely enough, my level 2 shield on the demon can take a lot more hits than my level three shield on the centurion, which doesn't make much sense.
drvoke
Merchant
Merchant

Post by drvoke »

I think they're going to nerf dralthis for the next release. Those things are a pain to kill.
My poems crush bones into powder,
You mumble like a coward,
I'm Mos Def, you need to speak louder!
(Speed Law)
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I had a quite good tactic to do these missions :)
Look up this thread:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... t=rygannon

It's somewhere in the middle...
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
Dire Wolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dire Wolf »

Hitman_MT wrote:i did oxford 3 with the tarsus (not upgradet). Palan 3 was the most difficult mission for me. I have try it 4 times. I have a full upgradet Centurion with 4 Plasma guns + autotracking. I didnt use a Torpedo aswell. A deamon die with 2 full hits. in 15 sec i kill 4 ships. But the Centurion has very bad shields. So you need to dance to not get much hits. I landing 1 time at Palan for repair and after i kill the rest.
In the original DOS game I beat this sequence in a Tarsus ...

In the remake, a demon or a centurion will do, but ...

Tachyon Cannon for energy efficiency and range (Plasma guns are a mistake).

never, ever, stop hitting your afterburners.

and never, ever, stop hitting your afterburners.

Full load of missles.
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hitman_MT wrote:i did oxford 3 with the tarsus (not upgradet).
What does this mean? Tarsus, one Laser Gun, no afterburners, level one shields and reactors, four heatseeker missles? LOL You must be joking!
Hey, I'm not one of those guys, moaning about those missions all the time. I think those missions are well doable, even without autotracking... But: Not with this ship and these specifications... LOL

Are you serious?

EDIT:

Sorry for the late answer to this post but it really caught my eye for the first time when I read the quote above ;)
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

hi spiffy! *waves*
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

spiritplumber wrote:hi spiffy! *waves*
Hello spirit, old bean!
What brings a great chap like you to this crumbly old board? :D