The Paradigm - WOW

Forum For Privateer Remake
Wendy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Wendy »

Wisq wrote:I don't play the WC mods, but I've heard that cargo missions pay more in big ships because the holds are bigger -- hence, more cargo, more money.

To avoid insane rewards in big ships, isn't the simpler solution just to put a random cap on cargo mission quantity (hence, reward)? It seems somewhat unlikely that all merchants have an infinite amount of cargo to move, and even less so that they'll entrust it all to a single courier. ;)
I think that mission pay should escallate as your rating as a pilot increases.
i.e.
I need 10 Uranium to go to Liverpool Refinery.

I'll pay:
100 per unit to an untried pilot.
125 per unit to a pilot with a completed mission score of 25.
150 per unit to a pilot with a completed mission score of 50.

Freelance Mission Scoring:
A failed mission, one where you die, whether you respawn or not, is a -1 to your mission score.
A completed mission is a +1 to your mission score.
A completed campaign mission does NOT count on freelance mission scoring.
A completed URGENT mission, where time is of the essence is a +2 to your mission score.
Conversely, it's a -3 to your mission score if you fail the URGENT missions.
A dangerous mission is a +5 to complete and a -0.5 when failed.

Merchant's guild pilots should get 10% more at a standard mission computer and 25% more per mission at the guilds for being guild members. Make that guild membership worth something.

Right now, it seems I get as much or more from the mission computers as I do from the guild. Of course I haven't really been flying a lot of cargo missions and I haven't been looking at what I can earn.

W.
=============================
Don't laugh, you ASKED me to break it!
I find television very educational.
Everytime someone turns on a set,
I go in another room and read a book.
--Groucho Marx
==============================
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Actually, the guild DOES pay better. Often by a good margin. I do a lot of cargo runs, so I spend alot of time at the guild, unless the base doesn't have one, in which I use a mission computer. Same goes for mercs guild.
Wendy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Wendy »

blue_paladin42 wrote:Actually, the guild DOES pay better. Often by a good margin. I do a lot of cargo runs, so I spend alot of time at the guild, unless the base doesn't have one, in which I use a mission computer. Same goes for mercs guild.
Hokay, Like I said, I haven't been paying attention to the pay. I have lots of cash and the ships I want, more or less set as I want them, so I'm free to run around completing the campaigns and the like and enjoying myself while I kill and get killed.

I was looking at my previous entry and all I could think of was "Guild Standing" and "Reputation" scores in D&D.

There it amounts to a lot of things. If you have a high enough rep, you get better campaigns and / or contracts.

Not that the campaigns will be easier, just more challenging and for better rewards.

I always felt joining the guilds in Privateer to be almost meaningless. Okay, better pay, but there was no advancement in the guild. No new titles, etc....

W.
--Groucho Marx
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Some security would be nice to. What happened to, "We take care of our own"?:D I have found that, if you do it right, trading on your own can be very rewarding too. It takes a little more effort, so guild missions are kind of a "lazy boy" cargo run. Except for the highly dangerous part. But what if the guild was more like a guild. Like, when you do a cargo run, you might be part of a convoy, especially if its a dangerous one. or mabye certain benefits. Instead of higher pay at the guild, you get regular pay, AND a free repair when the cargo is delivered. It really doesn't make a whole ot of sense that the guild pays more anyway. I figure that the guildgets paid by whoever hired them for the run, then you get a percentage of the profits. Someone who hires through the mission computer probably can't pay the guild transporet fee, so looks for privateers to do it. They pay less, but you get the whole check, so it balances out. Least, thats seems like how it should work.
Wendy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Wendy »

blue_paladin42 wrote:Some security would be nice to. What happened to, "We take care of our own"?:D I have found that, if you do it right, trading on your own can be very rewarding too. It takes a little more effort, so guild missions are kind of a "lazy boy" cargo run. Except for the highly dangerous part. But what if the guild was more like a guild. Like, when you do a cargo run, you might be part of a convoy, especially if its a dangerous one. or mabye certain benefits. Instead of higher pay at the guild, you get regular pay, AND a free repair when the cargo is delivered. It really doesn't make a whole ot of sense that the guild pays more anyway. I figure that the guildgets paid by whoever hired them for the run, then you get a percentage of the profits. Someone who hires through the mission computer probably can't pay the guild transporet fee, so looks for privateers to do it. They pay less, but you get the whole check, so it balances out. Least, thats seems like how it should work.
Ah, but that's how you JOIN the guild: as an apprentice. The guilds were about for mutual protection, but apprenticeship whas how you learned your craft.

Oh...this is starting to sound like a whole new and wild game for WCU.

The Guild Wars....

Be there ad see Gates try to stomp Linux with unfiar trade practises.

Watch as fleets of merchants take each other on!

And you, in your beatup trusty tarsus with a single laser....

The Guild Wars, coming to a theatre near you.

W.
--Groucho Marx
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

That sounds like copious amounts of fun. I can visualize the drayman warfleets. :lol:
Wendy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Wendy »

Could be.

My brain won't let it go and it's been YEARS since I tried my hand at coding. LITERALLY years. I stopped coding when Pascal started losing ground and C+ became C++. <cringe> Yeah, I'm THAT old.

I was an old Pascal programmer, so I see the declarations statements and lines of code for it literally exploding before my eyes in a language that games were NEVER designed in. :lol:

Be that as it may, the more I think about it, the more complex it would be, but what an added feature to the game. With true guild standings along with campaign scoring you could, you REALLY COULD evolve the game into a true RPG that could become an MMORPG. The only check would be on your fleet when logging into the servers. Certain files would have to have checks to verify that they were NOT changed from the original. THERE is the REAL nightmare.

But coding it so that you could literally become part of someone's flight or better still, CREW -- the goose bumples are already forming.

Oh boy, oh girl!

True RPG Campaign action. Just like on paper.

Now to get those random number generators into the code for luck reactions and dexterity....

W.

=)
--Groucho Marx
achen1
Trader
Trader

Post by achen1 »

Don't forget the charisma values for the number of wingmen you can hire.... :lol:
Lu-Tze
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Lu-Tze »

Hi,

i got the Paradigm. But my Turrets work. Just Strg + w and hundrets of Tachyons blow Everything Away[smetime even Friendly ones if They come my Battle to near]. Dunno if Strg + t and Alt + t works never tried it out.

But i don´t use them cuz the Turrets on the under(or Upper) side seem to love it shooting on your own ship. I counted 5-7 turrets on the down and 6-8 turrets one the upper side that kills and they do smart work on the own ship :D.

Greets

Lu-Tze
Last edited by Lu-Tze on Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Wendy »

achen1 wrote:Don't forget the charisma values for the number of wingmen you can hire.... :lol:
Yeah, and ummm...the higher your athletic skills the longer you can stay in the seat.

Blast, the control stick broke off in my hand.

LOL

W.
--Groucho Marx
tarus-begin
Merchant
Merchant

Post by tarus-begin »

Theres just one big problem with the paradigm...the guns always end up shooting your ship itself!!! so if the enemy goes behind you everything shoots backwards and a lot of the shots hit yer own ship. someone needs to work on the ai of the paradigms turrents and needs to make a cool looking command deck for the paradigm!!!
Tarus or Galaxy. Galaxy. but what do i have a tarus.
mat_yarrow
Hunter
Hunter

Post by mat_yarrow »

Perhaps editing the "Sub_Units" column and restricting the rotation of the paradigm's turrets in units.csv can help:
spiritplumber wrote:{subunit_line;posX;posY;posZ;vector_forward_X;vector_forward_Y;vector_forward_Z;vector_up_X;vector_up_Y;vector_up_Z;allowed_rotation}

cookies.
OTOH, doing so would make it more difficult to blow up paradigms, which could be a disincentive for those pursuing a career in piracy (Arrr, avast you Feddies!).
El Mero
Trader
Trader

Paradigm

Post by El Mero »

Hi,

After you finished the RF campaign you can buy the paradigm at most confed bases trough the upgrade screen, at least I found it several times, on several different bases. Naturally Perry is the most logical but not the only chance to buy it and not just right after the last RF mission. Would suck anyway. Who has at this point of time so much money?? I didn´t.
That´s what I´m doing right now, just earning money to get the paradigm to earn more money with one flight instead of flying about 100 missions to get enough money to buy a ship and equipt it right away.

I will make another post soon when I can give you names to several bases where you can find the Paradigm.
El Mero
Trader
Trader

Paradigm

Post by El Mero »

Hi,

You can buy it on Perry for 8.7 million.

AND you can buy it also later on. I visited Perry in several missions lately and there it was, I just didn´t have the money but I´m working on that.
Maybe its not there every time, but like I said, I have seen it quite often.
El Mero
Trader
Trader

Paradigm, unbelievable

Post by El Mero »

Hey guys,

I finally got enough money to buy the Paradigm and flew one mission from Perry to Hyades and back again. Oh man, this baby is a sitting duck and just 4 Dralthis can be a real pain in the ...
But the amount of money you can earn with one single run is unbelievable.

I still have some questions: (sorry, this will be quite a bit)

1. Why has the Paradigm in the begin every kind of reactor, shield, hull, armor and radar. Which one is used, I guess the best one.

2. How do you upgrade this baby? I wanted to throw out the plastel armor for an isometal, but it when I sold the old armor, I couldn´t buy a new one. The same with the radar, shield and generator. This is really odd since it is impossible to fly a mission without shields, not speaking of a generator.

3. Then, I didn´t find any possibility to take a look at the turrets. They are on the ship but they don´t show up on the upgrade screen. This isn´t so important because there are enough of them even though the hitrate is quite bad but I expected that.

4. After flying the first round from Perry to Hyades and back again the shields level 8+9 were gone, now I have "only" shields 4 lv. 3, 5(2x), 6 and 7.

5. I had also all reapair systems including a "research advance repair droid". What´s that? - I think it makes sence to have more than one repair droid. I wouldn´t want to do all the stuff alone. But why do I have all kinds and after the first run just one (advanced repair droid)?

I make a break here, otherwise I had to write about one A4 or more

I can understand if there are not coming many answers to my questions, just to many and I believe, that it wasn´t suppost to be possible to buy one of these big babies

Anyway, it was deffinetly worth spending so much time and effort to get enough money. Now I can buy every ship I want and all this with a single cargo run. 8)

I just love this game! first the original and now the Remake.

Great job!!!! no, .... OUTSTANDING !!!!
El Mero
Trader
Trader

Paradigm

Post by El Mero »

Oh yeah,

I didn´t cheat the money
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

you're right: it wasn't supposed to be possible
so you're just lucky it works at all hahaha

enjoy your fortune
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
redapplescare
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by redapplescare »

...speaking of bugs...

I noticed that you can actually "dock" one of the Paradigm's turrets with the Paradigm itselt. While you're controlling a turret, hit "d" and you'll dock... only instead of going to the concourse, your turret will simply fall out the bottom of your ship...

And, if you cycle through your turrets after doing this, you'll eventually get 'round to your docked turret, sitting in the landing bay of your Paradigm...

hm.
Ge0rgy
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Ge0rgy »

funny.

the paradigm seems a bit buggy yes.

but let me ask, what about a kamekh?

i mean, those should be the kilrathi counterpart of confed paradigms, shouldn't they?
i like their design.

but i guess they're buyable nowhere.
well...there aren't any kilrathi bases or planets either.

no, thats wrong, there actually is one kilrathi base. a really large asteroid in one of the "red" systems on the map.

you can dock there and the landing pad looks interesting, but nothing to buy there at all.

greetings,
Ge0rgy
Duke Derek
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Duke Derek »

i've given up on the Paradigm, it's slow, boring, and i usually end up doing more to damage myself than the enemy ship does, what with the little turret bug meaning sometimes they shoot 'through' the ship

nice to make a quick 20million though, or to fill with broadswords, eject them all and then take your 'ho train along to blow up a station

also it's impossible to have a fully functional advanced radar, and also to buy anything for it, even if it was previously fitted.

i would like to see it supported more in further versions of PR, as a silly little thing, a bit of fun sometimes
TJ01
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by TJ01 »

I had a few questions about the paradigm and I would be grateful if someone could answer them. First of all buying the paradigm seems to introduce an incredible number of bugs. Some of my other ships get stripped of parts of their equipment and get some random cargo added. If I try selling the paradigm's cargo or equipment the whole thing goes nuts. Should I therefore not touch the contents of the paradigm after I've bought it?

Another question relates to fighters. Does it make a difference whether I buy standard fighters or milspec versions to fill my capship (I'm thinking of stilettos in particular)? For some reason even if I buy standard non-equipped fighters they seem fully equipped when I launch them at my enemies.

Thanks in advance to anyone who will reply to this.
TBwaar
Merchant
Merchant

Paradigm Bugginess

Post by TBwaar »

Yeah, there are a LOT of buggs associated with the paradigm.

With reguards to the cargo/equipment bug: The paradigm is a milispec ship which means most of it's equpiment is fixed. Think of other milispec ships. They have fixed shield generators and armor. Thus, I don't think selling your cargo actually affects the ships performance. I double checked this by looking at the shield and armor output of the ship before and after selling cargo. Basically just ignor the equpiment aside from weapons because it's all fixed. I still haven't figured out why it can carry 20 dumbfire missiles in its first missile port but after you use them you can only hold one missile there.

Aside from this the paradigm is very buggy in flight. For one thing, it's pretty much antimatter. I flew a broadsword inside it:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... temId=6643

The gothri had no trouble following me either. I tried to get a drayman inside. It's possible to an extent, but it still takes ramming damage. Other ships can fly inside and even right through the paradigm.

Finally, about launching ships: apparently launching a ship from the paradigm cargo hold automatically gives it weapons, shields, armor. It basically gives you the milispec equivalent of the ship (try landing and comparing stats with a milispec ship in your fleet, you current ship will still be listed as stock however). Unfortunately you can't add the ship to your fleet because it disappears when you swap to another ship ( i tested this by docking on the pradigm and swaping). In short, don't buy milispec ships for the purpose of launching them from the paradigm, the stock models are just as good.

Hope that explains it all. I'm pretty sure I got that all right. I still need to test it some more.
Privateer Ferrius
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Privateer Ferrius »

I've been working on fixing the capship equipment bug so as to properly implement my uinofficial capship sheild patch ... when I do release it, that problem should no longer persist.
Cmdr. Micheal Ferrius (Ret.)
Retired Confederate Pilot

For Hire!
Post jobs to the BBS!

Tengoku de omachi shite imasu
TBwaar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by TBwaar »

If you play with the paradigm enough, you can eventually sell of all the extra stuff. The problem is with the radar, once you get rid of that everthing else is easy. Basically you need to start selling off the more advanced radar first by repairing it and then work your way down. It's not quite that simple, but I was able to sell off everything and then buy back other stuff like repair droids that were lost from selling cargo. Once you sell off all the junk it functions just like a normal milispec ship.
Privateer Ferrius
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Privateer Ferrius »

I effectively solved the problem by making a 'decommisioned' category for the Paradigm which was stripped, and replacing the one you can buy with that one. I want to fix the radar problem with the milspec Paradigm though.
Cmdr. Micheal Ferrius (Ret.)
Retired Confederate Pilot

For Hire!
Post jobs to the BBS!

Tengoku de omachi shite imasu