Textures in sol/ and sol2/

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Textures in sol/ and sol2/

Post by pyramid »

I wonder why there are two directories (data4.x/textures/sol/ and data4.x/textures/sol2/)with partially repeated textures (e.g. earth.png) but also unique textures (e.g. sol/callisto.png, sol2/charon.png).

Some random analysis revealed that textures in sol2/ are most probably not used at all.
Would it make sense to move the better quality textures from sol2 to sol and remove sol2/ dir altogether?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Watch the load activity you will see that they are loaded at the beginning.there is probably a Python reason for it's existence :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

By du -hs, sol is 7.6MB (with the redundant subversion files), and sol2 is 16MB

I just did a recursive text search...
Everything from "sol" is used in the universe texture listing.

However, from sol2, I only see "Earth","mars","moon" being used from milky_way.xml
There's also earthclouudmaptrans.png being used as an atmosphere in some places...
The planet Broadway in Cephid_17 is sol2/ganymede.jpg

So in Sol.system, I see many of the sol2 textures, and some sol textures too.
In the general universe directory, I see all the sol textures referenced.

So I guess they are both being used for now.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Yuck. :?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Really, it should be possible to merge them...

I would suspect that one of the two copies of each sol texture is better than the other...

If we were to move everything into sol, keeping the better of each texture, it would only involve changing a few planet textures in milky_way.xml and in Sol.system.

So won't be much work to merge if someone figures out which is better.
Really, this will only save us a few megabytes, so I'm not sure if it's worth the time and the possibility of causing bugs.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Anyway, I took up the task, which was actually not as bad as I imagined. Just a few systems and the milky_way file needed minor changes. The cleaning is committed data side in SVN 11964. Not sure if this change will require deleting files in the home dir.
Please report any bugs here or in the usual bugs forum.