Quick blender question

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
gamelord91
Explorer
Explorer

Quick blender question

Post by gamelord91 »

I am curious about making ships in Blender, but when I read the tutorial of wings 3d, it said you needed individual mount points for the weapons and stuff, so, what I'm asking is: How do you do this in blender? Help would be appreciated.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Don't quote me on this, but what I recall is that you enter values in XYZ for the mountpoints later in the .bfxm-ing and the mountpoints from wings3d are automatically deleted. So I *think* you could just temporarily put a vertex where you'd want the mount, then write down the numbers.
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

All you need to place mount points are the coordinates on the mesh.

I've never gotten pontiac's wings plugin to work anyway, so I've always had to do this manually in wings and copy the coordinates down by hand into the mounts column of the unit's row in units.csv.

I do my mounts after I export, and make a copy of the model if I need to create new vertexes or move them around to get the proper coordinates. You want the obj you bring into mesher to be as clean as possible, so having an extra working copy like that is always a good idea.

I'm sure there's a way to extract coordinates in blender. Let me know if you find it.

At the very worst you could do something cheesy like export from blender to wings. Just select a vertex in wings and the coordinates show up on screen, although you then have to copy these down by hand.
gamelord91
Explorer
Explorer

Post by gamelord91 »

Hey, thanks for all the help. I'll remember that.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

To extract coordinates in blender, select a vertex, press global in the Properties window that comes up when you press N. :P
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.