Need help with Save-Game Hack

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
Jeff2121
Hunter
Hunter

Need help with Save-Game Hack

Post by Jeff2121 »

So, I found my savegame file, edited the credits to 4 mil, clicked save and....*pop*

Some box pops up and says:

Code: Select all

"Cannot create the C:\Program Files\Vegastrike\Vegastrike-0.4.3\.vegastrike\save\Dave file.

Please make sure path and filename are correct"
Oh well, its just a read-only file...WRONG

Hmm, maybe I need to select "All files"...WRONG

So, is it because I need the SVN or is it something with Windows Vista?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Ah Windows Vista...

Yeah, Vista has some stupid annoyances, and this is one of them...
Look at this thread... it might help:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=8872
Jeff2121
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Jeff2121 »

I looked, but that tells me where they're saved, I can open them and all, it just won't save, the same thing happens with Read-only files, but I think it may be because Windows doesn't recognize it. :?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Are you running as a normal user, or are you in the TrustedInstallers group. I don't think it will work as a normal user... Have you tried the security permissions tab? Try giving all Users access to read and write to the save folder and/or files.

Also, another thing is that the "allow" window might be popping up in order to save. Are you running in windowed mode?

Unfortunately, I have never used vi, so I can't really help... I just assume that there is a way to allow that access.

[joke]Maybe it doesn't like that you named it Dave. "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Oh no, we have to support Vista now? :?

Maybe there would be less of an issue if we placed it in the /Documents and Settings/User/Application Data/Vegastrike folder or somesuch?
Jeff2121
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Jeff2121 »

Okay, I think I fixed it. I checked everything in the Security tab under permissions. Thanks :D
Jeff2121
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Jeff2121 »

Okay, I think I fixed it. I checked everything in the Security tab under permissions. Thanks :D
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Well that's one of my plans at least... I don't see how that's any different from using a separate home directory under Linux.

And it seems it's going to cause real problems with win vi as well.