Willing to contribute

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
fuzzy_memories
Merchant
Merchant

Willing to contribute

Post by fuzzy_memories »

Hello, I do not have very much experience in anything really, I'd like to learn a valuble skill (3D Modelling, scripting, idea help ect) and i was wondering what VS needed most in order for me to help as much as i can, i should have a lot of spare time (aside from GCSE's and doing up my car) and i'm willing to learn, I need something to focus on at the moment so i was wondering what i could do to help. I was hoping to get a TC done (maybe set in a fiction universe similar to VS) but as you probably know, it is hard finding people willing/able to help. Thanks,
Fuzzy.
P.s I also am in support of creating an applicant sticky thread.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Well, what do you want to do most? If you want to get into it right away, probably the best place to start is learning how the data directory structure works, and how to add images of various sorts, units, weapons, that sort of thing (good knowledge to have for a modder :-) ).

Otherwise, python scripting always needs help, though it will take a little bit to learn (took me about three months of spare time to go from nothing to producing something useful). The technical bits of the wiki are always in need of filling out, though without background knowlegde of the dataset it's probably a bit hard.

Almost completely forgot, but you can always help write some dynamic news entries! I'll dig up the post if you're interested, but basically these are the stories that are used to describe the events happening in the dynamic universe ... written in a way so they can be reused by many different events.

Anything there catch your interest?

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
fuzzy_memories
Merchant
Merchant

Post by fuzzy_memories »

Actually, to be honest, i'd probably be best at the dynamic news entries XD I'd love to learn the data structure as well of course, usefull for making my own little "mods". I started looking around in the savegame files and can edit them a small amount (more money, differant starting system ect.) does that count?
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Cool :-) In that case, see the following two places:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... sc&start=0
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/HowTo:Edit_News

Let me know when you have any questions :-) Thanks for any help with this you can give!

Dan
-- Pablo Picasso
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Here's the wiki page describing how to mod (it has next pages so it may go in detail):
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/HowTo:MOD

I'm wondering if there's a wiki page describing the full directory layout. Anyway, some stuff is self-explanatory. Other stuff is more confusing to edit. Ask here if you don't understand how some file works.

Unfortunately savegame editing doesn't really help much with modding since they are only autogenerated.
fuzzy_memories
Merchant
Merchant

Post by fuzzy_memories »

Thanks for all the help and support guys! I'll get right on it. Obviously i've yet to learn the Tags for the system names ect. but here's an idea:

Rumour has it that <player> piloting a <player ship name (currently active one)> has destroyed <Base x>. Any and all further trades should be directed to <Base y, in same sector>. Families of the <dominant race in system> killed in the brutal attack on <base x> are mourning their loved ones.

Could that work?
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Almost :-) We don't have any current way of getting a 'base y' to insert into that, but apart from that is currently very doable

Dan
-- Pablo Picasso
fuzzy_memories
Merchant
Merchant

Post by fuzzy_memories »

ok thankyou. I should have a few finished by today (I hope)