Code Documentation

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
macross
Explorer
Explorer

Code Documentation

Post by macross »

Hi *!

I recently checked out the code from SVN and started browsing it. Trying to understand it gave me a hard time. I'm missing code documentation. There are only very little commented methods/code lines and no explanation is given what is done where.

So my question...

Is there any developer documentation available or planned? Where can I get info where to start. I'd really like to contribute and try out some ideas I had, but right now I'm quite lost.

Furthermore where is the OGRE port? I guess it is not in the SVN as I can't find any code related to it.

Sebastian
A fight to death between zombies has some inherent problems.
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Re: Code Documentation

Post by www2 »

macross wrote:Hi *!

I recently checked out the code from SVN and started browsing it. Trying to understand it gave me a hard time. I'm missing code documentation. There are only very little commented methods/code lines and no explanation is given what is done where.
i know that this a problem is...
macross wrote: Furthermore where is the OGRE port? I guess it is not in the SVN as I can't find any code related to it.
is in a older branch than the main branch....
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

WRT the OGRE thing:
klauss wrote:First of all, check out from CVS the ogre branch.

The code is in https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/veg ... gre_branch

And the data in
https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/veg ... nk/data5.x

(Hm... the data may be a bit outdated, since I've been doing changes and I've been procrastinating the commitment of some data files so that I don't inflate the repository unnecessarily - after all, data files are just conversions of the bfxms in data4.x)
Some docs about code internals are in the old manual.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/manua ... index.html
In particular sections 28 and 29 explain some classes in VS and the connection to python.

Other than that, ask the main devs.
macross
Explorer
Explorer

Post by macross »

Thanks for the quick answers. I'll take a closer look at the OGRE branch. Just peek some minutes into it until now...

Have you some pointers where to start looking for the OGRE stuff. The gfx folder seems to be old stuff...

cu
Sebastian
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ogre code is all in

branches/ogre_branch/vegastrike/src/UserInterface
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
macross
Explorer
Explorer

Post by macross »

Cool. Thanks!