Making correct cockpits

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Mail the xcf, I'll archive it in case we need it later.
About the lighting... I'll check. If it comes to worse, I can fix smoothing with blender, I always did that by hand and it works pretty fine.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Sent you a PM.
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

btw: Kangaroo, please stick to the naming standards for your maps.

texture.png
texturePPL.png
textureDMG.png
textureGLO.png

someday, this uniformity might be useful for coders.

meanwhile, I'll see if the files you ahve posted is enough for me to have my own nice rlaan cockpit at home. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Emm, yes, I forgot about the names.

If you have any success getting the cockpit ingame without problems, let us know!
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Got the latest Mesher from Klauss, will see if it works.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I got the cockpit nicely working (smooth and all), and the texture and diffuse color are too dark.

I recommend you a) remove glowy parts from the diffuse texture, b) up the brightness a big bit on the diffuse, and c) change diffuse and specular values in the mtl to white (all ones) - the diffuse and specmap will take care of the rest by themselves.

Sorry... I didn't bring any screenshots. Besides, I still haven't fully resolved the z-buffer issue. I got rid of it ingame by increasing the headroom (a hardcoded variable), but it's an excessive headroom, and it shouldn't be necessary, so I'm trying to track down the reason of it all to try to address the problem and not just the symptom.
Wing Commander Universe
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Added to my worklist.

Tomorrow I'll do it, but I'm afraid I will be short of time later, because I will have trainings almost every afternoon (I need to make it to the national youth team of Latvia in volleyball).
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Kangaroo22 wrote:Tomorrow I'll do it, but I'm afraid I will be short of time later, because I will have trainings almost every afternoon (I need to make it to the national youth team of Latvia in volleyball).
Uuu...
Good luck.

If you can't make time, no sweat, I can do it. Since it implied some artistic decisions, I though it would be best to give you the choice, but I can do it if your schedule is a bit tight.

Only one thing could be worth it - I've been noticing a rather patchy specularity, because of too low polygon tesselation combined with a too high specular exponent. What do you prefer? Lower exponent, or higher tesselation? (if it's the second, you could smooth the surfaces a bit, the polycount accepts it IMO).

BTW: I fixed the z-buffer thing properly this time. It won't happen anymore.
Wing Commander Universe
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

I thank thee, Klauss! :)
klauss wrote:If you can't make time, no sweat, I can do it. Since it implied some artistic decisions, I though it would be best to give you the choice, but I can do it if your schedule is a bit tight.
I don't know, suppose you have better results seeing it ingame. Since my SVN snapshot is old, I'd be very grateful if you could adjust the textures and send them to me, so I could observe them.
Only one thing could be worth it - I've been noticing a rather patchy specularity, because of too low polygon tesselation combined with a too high specular exponent. What do you prefer? Lower exponent, or higher tesselation? (if it's the second, you could smooth the surfaces a bit, the polycount accepts it IMO).

BTW: I fixed the z-buffer thing properly this time. It won't happen anymore.
I'd probably like higher tesselation. Actually this was laiziness on my side, because I made simple geometry at first and applied subsurf. And that resulted in more polys then needed at one place and too few polys on the other. :oops:

[/quote]