Extracting in-game meshes.

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
BoredSpy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Extracting in-game meshes.

Post by BoredSpy »

Hello, I've been kicking around the idea of attempting to create a new VS model. I've been through the wiki and seen the list of which ships still need models. I also noticed that the style-guides are non-existant thus far ;).

Is there a way I can back-convert the meshes from the vegastrike format to something useable in wings or blender? I'd like to have a handy way to reference existing faction designs in order to identify commonalities, etc.

Thanks.
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

You can with mesher.

If it's an unlodded mesh you can use this:

Code: Select all

mesher mesh.bfxm mesh.obj boc
And if it has lods...:

Code: Select all

mesher mesh.bfxm mesh.xmesh bxc
mesher 0_1.xmesh temp.bfxm xbc # I think 0_1 usually is the top level lod? I might want several parts though, 1_1, 2_1, etc.
mesher temp.bfxm mesh.obj boc
That's the basic procedure...
BoredSpy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by BoredSpy »

Thank you very much! Now for a silly question. What's an lod?

Also, is there a file somewhere that defines which ship models belong to which races/factions? I took a brief look at units.csv and units_working.csv but I didn't see anything obvious. It's pretty late though so I'll take a peek again after getting some sleep :)

Thanks again!
loki1950
The Shepherd

re Vsship inventory

Post by loki1950 »

@boredspy in the stats dir of the data module you will find VSships.pdf which has the info you are looking for faction data and there ships. hope this is what you need :)

Enjoy the Choice :)