Upgrades to the docking procedures and ship templates?

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
rogue
Explorer
Explorer

Upgrades to the docking procedures and ship templates?

Post by rogue »

For my first contribution to vegastrike

All these ideas are strictly for heavy heauler type craft
I want to make upgrades the ship templates to include a bridge area for ships docked with. I'm going to need to know a few things, I'll look in the source but I thought maybe I could milk something off some of you here :)

I'm thinking about large ships that can hold smaller ships, since the smaller ships can be ejected, piloted, and brought back in(with the tractor beam), why couldn't they be moved from the landing bay to the stockyard, and walk to the bridge after docking to the larger one with the small one? (It is very cool that you can stock up a fleet of small ships, launch, dock with your larger ship, upgrade your smaller one (or buy parts with the small ship to stock up your larger one beyond it's actual capacity by selling them))

I believe it would require a single bool defaulting to false in the objects that build the ship screens, if it's true it will allow access to the bridge, and if you move to the bridge, it will move the docked ship to the cargo, and put you into the pilots seat. (Should be pretty easy, just memory manipulations;)

So I'm taking a wild guess but the code that the "[" key triggers must hold some kind of list of friendly, controllable vehicles, which could be used to compare two objects (such as when docking) to set the above mentioned bool to true.

Code: Select all

void dockCheck(Unit &in) {
 for(std::vector<Units>::iterator  iter= friendlies.begin(); iter < friendlies.end(); iter++) { if (&(*(iter)) == &in) {pilotNewStockOld = true; return;};};
}
Anyone want to point the way to some of the files I'll need to be looking at?

As long as I'm on this route - Going to the docking area from the large ships bridge would work too, and if that happened, why couldn't there be a special button to select, launch, and control a small ship from the supplies screen instead of find it in the manifest, eject it, scroll through all the friendlies (get a goddard, get into a huge fight, launch all it's missiles then try ejecting a ship and selecting it, when 80% of the missile miss and float into space)

And as an idea I wouldn't have any idea where to begin to impliment, launching small wingmen that automatically redock with you after battles, using the same type of methods mentioned immidiatly above would be a major improvement
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

You are too late! :shock:

There are already people working on this.
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Ya, spiritplumber is working on it atm ... getting in touch with her might be a good idea, see where you can lend a hand :-)

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
rogue
Explorer
Explorer

Post by rogue »

sweeet :-D