editing factions

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

editing factions

Post by esgaroth »

OK, in case I`d like to add a new faction, delete a faction or change the name of existing ones, is there anywhere a list which files I have to change ? Factions.xml is pretty obvious, but there are numerous other files in the dynamic universe which cause the game to crash if i play around with renaming etc.
Any help available anywhere ?
Thanx in advance,
Esgaroth
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I'm not very knowledgable about the python side, but there are some python files which reference factions. Try reading through the python modules in ./modules - I think faction_ships.py is one of them, but I think mission scripts also refer to them. Have a nice reading ;)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Yes, the python stuff also contains a bunch of files that mess with the factions. I think, the logos also. Just hoped that there was a list somewhere which files to change. But nevertheless, thanx for the help.