Adding a quest to a campaign

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
shadowmane20
Trader
Trader

Adding a quest to a campaign

Post by shadowmane20 »

I want to add a blockade to the campaign I'm writing. The issue is that blockade is a quest (modules/quests/quest_blockade.py), not a mission. Can I import a quest to use the commands in the quest, or would I have to write a mission to do what I'm wanting done? Don't missions and quests use the same python code? If you can do something in one, you should be able to do it in the other.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Adding a quest to a campaign

Post by TBeholder »

A quest would need translation from constants to support for "from point A to point B, faction C vs faction D" that a mission needs, and perhaps rules for when the mission should appear.
But blockade thing is mostly NPC chat, it doesn't create objectives, etc.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
shadowmane20
Trader
Trader

Re: Adding a quest to a campaign

Post by shadowmane20 »

Yeah, I noticed that. It does put some ships there to get by, but there is no challenge there. What I need is a mission where all of the jump points are blockaded until after an election is held in-system, and they are actively trying to keep you out. It would be in effect through about two, maybe three missions. But there are 5 jump points in the system, only one of which is not an enemy system.

I'm also looking at the total_war.py file to see if I can come up with a civil war in-system after the elections. Basically, all hell's going to break loose because of the election results, and the reaction of the ruling class.