3d Modelling Suites

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

3d Modelling Suites

Post by Halleck »

I've done a tiny bit of modelling in the past (enough to grasp the basics) but I never really got past rudimentary lathe/extrustion, height maps. primitives, and texturing. I'm looking to get into some more advanced 3d work (maybe even contribute to VS a little bit if I get my skill up). I notice that a lot of people are using Wings 3d for modelling spacecraft.

I was thinking about re-learning blender, but what do you guys think? Do you have any preferences for modelling suites (preferably free), or other such reccomendations? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I downloaded wings last night to give it a try. It's really blown me away! It has a more geometrical approach to modelling, while the other modelling programs I've used seem to have more of a spatial approach. I've found Wings to have both power and simplicity. After using it for less than an hour, I already have a nifty looking, low-poly spaceship mesh which i've dubbed the "falkan". Tell me what you think!
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by CubOfJudahsLion »

Like it. Clear shape, and agressive.

Wings3D is a VERY robust modeling utility, has a really good UV mapping tool, and it's easy to learn to boot. The problem is, when it comes to rendering and animation, Wings3D stops at OpenGL snapshots.

In a nutshell, Blender3D has very up-to-date toolsets for all modeling, animation, rendering (and even some non-linear editing) abilities, all in a package that can be less than 5 megs at the time of writing, and out-of-the-box it has more tools than some commercial products, and in case the standard rendered isn't enough, you can always download the global-illumination renderer Yafray, which integrates with blender nicely.

These many features aren't easy to master in an interface built for speed, however, and this is precisely a common complaint about Blender. It's interface is not precisely intuitive, but to be fair, I didn't know where everything was or how it worked when I started 3DSMAX for the first time. Bottom line: you'd have to go through manuals and tutorials, just as you would for any other application. Luckily, there are scores of blender documentation online, as well as lots of community sites with dozens of tutorials.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Thanks for the input! I just downloaded the latest blender release.
I used to use it a little bit, waaay way back. I actually have the 2.0 guide sitiing around somewhere, so that would come in handy if I decide to pick it up again.
Right now I think I'll stick with wings, especially because that's what the VS modellers seem to be using. Once I get back into the groove I think I can transition to blender, but a working knowledge of both would be useful.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

If you're looking for inspiration or direction, http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=2491 contains the designations of a large number of vessel types with no corresponding model. If, as is too frequently the case, there aren't enough models for a given faction to provide a good guide as to what ship class X would look like, or the function of the vessel isn't clear enough to specify much in the way of form, message me, and I'll try to render guidance.
tonerman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by tonerman »

Where can blender be found at?

can you start something in wings (which I like.. but have no comparison) and finish it in blender...
Have you seen my repair droid?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

tonerman wrote:Where can blender be found at?
http://www.blender3d.com/
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

tonerman wrote:can you start something in wings (which I like.. but have no comparison) and finish it in blender...
Sure. Blender comes standard with an import script from Wings3d. I'm not sure if it imports texture mappings though.
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

CubOfJudahsLion wrote:Wings3D is a VERY robust modeling utility, has a really good UV mapping tool, and it's easy to learn to boot. The problem is, when it comes to rendering and animation, Wings3D stops at OpenGL snapshots.
That's not quite true, you can bundle it with Yafray (similar to blender+yafray), just ask in the wings3d-forum.

I've never done it myself (yet ;) ), but some entries in the wings3d forum-gallery speak for themself.

Pontiac
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

I stand corrected. It's good to know that they have better snapshots, but the point remains: Wings is a modeler (and a very good one at that), but you need other software for true light/scene setup, animation, effects, rendering and everything else.
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

CubOfJudahsLion wrote:I stand corrected. It's good to know that they have better snapshots, but the point remains: Wings is a modeler (and a very good one at that), but you need other software for true light/scene setup, animation, effects, rendering and everything else.
Exactly, just one additional thing:
It's not a matter of version (snapshot) but a matter of plugins.
Other render-applications are supported by Wings3D via render-plugins-> see the homepage or the forum for this (e.g Povray, yafray,FBX, etc...).

Just FYI :)
Pontiac