vegastrike.config options that change unit speed

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

vegastrike.config options that change unit speed

Post by peteyg »

I am trying to make it so that the speed cap I put into units.csv for each unit is the same as that the unit actually travels (I am assuming both are meters per second).

I know the game_speed variable... but I am switching between a modified vs.config from the privateer remake, and one modified from data4.x, and each one is giving me a totally different speed. The privateer-based one is giving me a speed of 1200 for an entered speed of 1200 (what I'm shooting for)... but the modified data4.x one is giving me like 430!!! They both have the game_speed variable set to .1 (one tenth).

So what else in the config file affects ship top speeds?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

well, the privateer config file also has the "displays lie to you about speed and distances" flag set to true. :) - no, really, I'm not kidding

The other issue is a units thing - the in-flight displays in the data4.x config are in km/h = 3.6*Meters/Second (because it makes for bigger numbers and takes your attention away from how pitifully slow one is usuallly going)

so, at a 1:1, 1200m/s should actually be giving you 4320.0 km/h - which at 1/10 would be 432.0 :) -- problem solved
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Ohhh... okay.

I think I prefer being lied to. : )
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

thanks jack :-)

exposing my lies and indecency