Trade while in flight

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
l2r
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Trade while in flight

Post by l2r »

As I was transiting back to Atlantis, I was idly poking the springy hula girl on my Llama's dash and thought "you know, I should be doing something productive. Nobody's shooting at me, the SPEC stopped smoking after I kicked it a couple times... What I really would like to do is arrange my next purchases at the trade center. Nah, but then while I was squinting at the relative costs of thorium I'd slam into the backside of a long hauler. But... wait! The on-board manual can already be convienently pulled up transparently over the HUD, so I can figure out which doo-dad I should push to eject while *still* avoiding a blistering beam of hate from those danged pirates! Wouldn't it be *awesome* if I could use a similar interface to get my business in order during those long, dull, asymptotically-accelerated trips? My com could contact the destination trade center the moment I punched Auto Pilot, recover the most recent price list, and give me the option to place sell and buy orders. Sure, some of the goods may be gone by the time I do arrive, or perhaps the price has changed slightly, but I'm sure I could arrange something with the trading floor to allow a quick yes/no confirmation after I land of any changes before the deal is sealed!"

I got so excited about this that my little spiral notebook slipped off the console. As I stared down at it, with the stubby little golf pencil tucked into the coiled spine, it got me thinking more... "Why do I have to jot down the price of *everything* one-by-one? In this day and age of superluminal flight, surely a modern space pilot could have his computer upgraded, at very minimal cost, to automatically recover the prices, quantities and weights of *all* available goods? Perhaps even organize comparative data in a conviently filterable and tabular form that highlights profitable trades between nearby destinations, or what's currently in the hold!"

Sorry if this is in the wrong place; it looks like the best subforum for gameplay suggestions. Anyway, the transit times are really a killer. I read other posts where it was listed as a design decision to keep things realistic (at least within the growing canon). I can respect that, but I think an (optional) in-flight pre-arrival trade window on the HUD would surely be the sort of thing that an advanced space-faring trading society (with FTL communications) would incorporate. And I'm certain they would have fully automated quote recovery. The game looks very nicely done, but there's far too much twiddling-thumbs-time. I cleaned the kitchen while moving between stars. I *hate* waiting for the last 500 kilometers of planetary approach. Clicking through the goods hierarchy was just painful. A sortable, automatically-generated table, with:

[ "Product", "Price", "Quantity", "Mass", "Profit relative to Hold", "% Profit relative to Hold", "Profit relative to OtherPlace1", "% Profit relative to OtherPlace1", "Distance to OtherPlace1", "Profit relative to OtherPlace2" ... ]

... is the sort of thing that you'd expect any trader to have access to. Always a pair of columns for the hold, and the triple-columns for maybe three user-selected destinations. Strategy then comes in "Do I really want to haul 500 tonnes of building stone through 4 wormholes for a 350% profit, or should I just take some brandy to the in-system mining colony for a 12% yield?" Being able to do all this while in quiet transit would remove a lot of the (realistic) boredom and replace it with good old fashioned (and realistic) cut-throat business opportunities.

Anyway, thanks for making what could be a really cool game!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Trade while in flight

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome aboard I2r that has been requested before but it would mean a complete rewrite of our interface code not a trivial task sigh.... so it's on the wish list but low in priority.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I was actually thinking about getting rid of all those custom and hardcoded main loops, in favor of scriptable "layers". In essence, I was thinking about being able to have a clickable, fully-functional, base-interface-based cockpit interface while in flight (and a nav computer while at bases).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Augie.Ben.Doggie
Trader
Trader

Post by Augie.Ben.Doggie »

Klauss: that sounds absolutely awesome! Do you think doing that is a massive chunk on your stack?

Just curious...
Sic transit gloria mundi
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Klauss has always been ambitious :mrgreen: but as I said in my answer it is fairly low in priority.And as a project we need to be that as well.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Augie.Ben.Doggie wrote:Klauss: that sounds absolutely awesome! Do you think doing that is a massive chunk on your stack?

Just curious...
Lets say, it's a moderate chunk on a huge stack.

The idea just came to me yesterday (or the day before), so...
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Augie.Ben.Doggie
Trader
Trader

Post by Augie.Ben.Doggie »

Ach, 't doesn't matter. I still like the idea though!

After playing for a bit you'll get a general idea about prices, available quantities etc anyway. Now when the ideas about the new economy model get implemented, where you wouldn't necessarily know what to expect... That would come in really handy. Ach, I know all the work, but that sounds so great that it's worth waiting for another decade or two or so :wink:

@l2r: I hope you are still around and reading this. I loved reading your text. Just hit the spot! Ever considered getting upgrades? Errr... no! Ever thought about writing for vega-strike (I meant to ask)?
Sic transit gloria mundi