CSV File editing: Adding ship upgrades

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
Grawmad
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

CSV File editing: Adding ship upgrades

Post by Grawmad »

Specifically, ye olde cloaking device.

I've been trying to get the cloaking device upgrade (not just the one on the schroedinger) to work. First, I found an aera medical station which is guaranteed to generate (an aera) one. The upgrade in the shopping list, in addition to being unable to be bought, has bizarre stats attached to it, and no mention of a cloaking device. I figured this was because of a mismatch between units.csv and master_part_list.csv, and so I resolved that. The shopping list now displays reasonable stats, but it's still not able to be purchased. I figure this has something to do with prohibited_upgrades in units.csv, so I added upgrades/Miscellaneous/Aera_Milspec:1 to the prohibited_upgrades field in my serialized_xml folder, as well as Admonisher, Admonisher.blank, and Admonisher.stock in units.csv (I'm flying an Admonisher atm). That didn't work.

So, my question is, how can I get the cloaking device to be purchaseable on a ship? Am I misunderstanding prohibited_upgrades? Or is there something elsewhere that specifically excludes cloaking devices?
malik136
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Re: CSV File editing: Adding ship upgrades

Post by malik136 »

I figured this was because of a mismatch between units.csv and master_part_list.csv, and so I resolved that. The shopping list now displays reasonable stats, but it's still not able to be purchased. I figure this has something to do with prohibited_upgrades in units.csv, so I added upgrades/Miscellaneous/Aera_Milspec:1 to the prohibited_upgrades field in my serialized_xml folder, as well as Admonisher, Admonisher.blank, and Admonisher.stock in units.csv (I'm flying an Admonisher atm).
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: CSV File editing: Adding ship upgrades

Post by TBeholder »

What version you're using to begin with?
Messed up stats look like bug 670, but it's rather fresh and should be in SVN, as it's a result of overhaul, but if you use SVN, you shouldn't have "units.csv", but CSV split per basic category?..
Or was it a result of errors in CSV after bad editing?..
But other than that, what you did seems correct. Maybe the ship somehow doesn't have enough of upgrade volume?
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter