Who, where, and how sticky

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
Mr. Bane
Merchant
Merchant

Who, where, and how sticky

Post by Mr. Bane »

I'm looking through the boards and I don't see a sticky for HOWTO: Help VegaStrike Develop, though I do see this blurb here:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/about.php
Developer Contributions

Would you like to contribute to Vegastrike and become a developer? Great! Just sign up for the developer mailing list (our apologies if it's a bit on the dry side, the deluge of spam really gunked things up for a while and recovery has not been swift, with many developer communications moving to alternate channels) and send us an email about youself, noting your skills (or which ones you'd like to develop by working with us ;-) ) and what you would like to do. Or, go to the forums and developer blog and poke around until you find someone working on something that interests you and contact the people working on that aspect of the project directly. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A CODER! We have a profound need for people to do many other things as well -- documentation, web maintenance, fiction development, artwork etc. Believe us -- we'd kill for people with good cat-herding skills even if their skillset doesn't include anything technical (Scatter-brained academic code-developers attempting to remote manage busy artists, artisans, and even each other doesn't politely lend itself to the smoothest operation one can imagine).

If you would like to help, or would like to find out more about the project first, then go to our forum and ask any questions you might have, what you can do, what needs to be done, etc.
I think we could use a similar post on the boards, as a sticky, perhaps even linked on the face of the board.
Last edited by loki1950 on Fri May 01, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: make sticky
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Who, where, and how sticky

Post by loki1950 »

Good idea done :wink:
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Mr. Bane
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Bane »

Is there any additional information anyone can think of to add? I'll add the IRC channel.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

maybe a good list of what people can do. For instance, artists, coders, webkeepers, wiki mantainers or somethin like that, etc. Under those, put specific categories. For instance:
  • coders
    bug splatters
    developing
    etc
  • graphic artists
    3d graphics development
    render graphics
    etc
    etc
  • music & sound artists
    music
    sounds
    voice
  • wiki mantainers
    etc
    etc
  • content development
    etc
    etc
  • Etc.etc
    etc
    etc
oh also, maybe we could actually start using usergroups for what I previously mentioned, probably using open groups for these matters. being in a groop could incentive people to actually stay and contribute, rather than leaving a week after proposing something.
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Don't forget The Vega Strike Contributor's Guide on the wiki. ;)