help to fix unit pictures

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
tfc_generalKMK
Merchant
Merchant

help to fix unit pictures

Post by tfc_generalKMK »

i would like to be able to help fix where a installation's picture isn't being rendered or the vdu image isn't being rendered

i figure they just have the wrong extension or something like that

i just need to figure out what file to edit

is this in units.csv? i don't think so because i did look in that it asks for a directory for where its found but those don't have an extension

is the vdu image what is titled Hud_image in units.csv?

and is the Mesh what is actually seen through the players HUD display?

at the moment that is about all i can think about asking with this topic
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: help to fix unit pictures

Post by loki1950 »

The VDU image is as sprite and should have the .sprite extension most of which still have the .spr extension they are usually found with the units bfxm file and textures.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
tfc_generalKMK
Merchant
Merchant

Post by tfc_generalKMK »

is there a way to test if the changes i am making to my units.csv are correct without just having to rely on luck that i can find these objects in game?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Have a look at the test missions in the data/mission/test folder they are just XML files so you should be able to launch the game with one as a command line argument that's how Pyramid's Unit Converter checks the textures on new units that his program has readied for game insertion they load pretty fast as the whole universe does not need to be loaded there is also some info on .mission files in the wiki.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
tfc_generalKMK
Merchant
Merchant

Post by tfc_generalKMK »

thanks for that loki

one thing i am still not sure about

is the vdu image controlled by the Hud_image column on units.csv?

i am pretty sure it is but not quite sure
denyasis
Hunter
Hunter

Post by denyasis »

I believe it is! Hope that helps!

Ps - If you are a windows user, you can skip the command line and just drag the mission you want to load onto vegastrike.exe in your bin directory. Just make sure its the EXE, not the shortcut :-)
tfc_generalKMK
Merchant
Merchant

Post by tfc_generalKMK »

ya i noticed that when i used the command line i got the same result as just double clicking it so i set to open with the vpn's exe and then it worked like a charm

thanks for the confirmation denyasis