Voice Overs?

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
John-H-Knight
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Voice Overs?

Post by John-H-Knight »

Hi!
I am new to this, so please be kind. Can your project use an amiture voice over artist?

John H knight
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Voice Overs?

Post by Turbo »

Hi! Sorry I took so long to reply, I don't check this forum as often as I should. Yes we are looking for more voice actors. We need people for the following kinds of work:

1. Many factions (mostly human) still need voices for the ship-to-ship radio transmissions. Here is a list. We want every faction to sound different, and the easiest way is to use different people.

1.a. 3 alien factions (Dgn, Uln, and Shmrm) not only need voices, we haven't even figured out what their voices sound like. So if you have ideas, start a thread in Music and Sound to discuss your thoughts.

1.b. The game supports each ship having a male or female pilot, but the feature is not activated because the factions that do have voices have only one. So we definitely need female voices, because the only female actor we had (who played our Merchant Guild & Militia pilots and our news anchor) is no longer available.

2. There is currently a discussion as to how your ship should warn you of important events: alarm or voice. So if you have thoughts on that, want to create some sound effects, or want to be the voice of the player's ship's computer, come on over.

3. We also have ongoing projects for "Galactic RadioNet," which is non-music items to mix with the music already in game. The purpose is to provide a new avenue for game immersion, make it more like you're listening to the local radio as you fly (but not during battle), and to give the audio playlists more depth so you don't hear the same things as often. Come and listen to our work thus far, share your ideas, or become our news anchor or an in-the-field correspondent.

3.a. News. We want to record the non-dynamic news items (those not generated by game events) already viewable at the bases, and wrote a few others. Our news anchor "Jenny DeWilde" is no longer available, so we need a new anchor. For some reports, we might also need other voices for small parts (field correspondents, sound bites from people in the story, or subject matter experts that GNN consults).

3.b. Sports. Similar to news, but we have a "sports jingle" to play in the background instead of the "GNN" song we use with news.

3.c. Public Service Announcements. We only have 2 written right now, so a few more would be nice.

4. Advertising. We wrote several ads and recorded a few (some short "sponsored by" bits, and longer ads). But we are still discussing whether we want to use advertising in any form that resembles the current era. So come share your ideas on that.

Anyone who is interested in voice acting or the related work is invited to the Music and Sound forum. If you have never done voice acting, I suggest you start with this discussion where we have a link to a tutorial, and discuss various techniques and tips. Then dive into the ongoing discussions, or start a thread on something we have not yet discussed.

Edit: apparently I can't spell "Uln"
Last edited by Turbo on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Hope hes still around... the threads almost 2 years old.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Oh but Turbo's invite is valid for everyone! That includes....... even you! ;)
abysswolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by abysswolf »

HI ! this is my first post and wherever i arrive i like to help... i can do a descent imitation of mass efect's reapers, that can be usable?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

abysswolf wrote:HI ! this is my first post and wherever i arrive i like to help... i can do a descent imitation of mass efect's reapers, that can be usable?
Well, though imitations won't be of much use, if you can imitate, you can probably act too.

So, check this out, and pick some place where you can help.

And thanks for offering :)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
abysswolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by abysswolf »

i can do very inhuman deep and dissorted voices... like reapers or the ur quan anything suits that? i also can make computer voices male and i can find someone to make it female
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

If you create anything post it over in the Sound forum under content development. We are always in search of new voices for different factions.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

abysswolf wrote:i can do very inhuman deep and dissorted voices... like reapers or the ur quan anything suits that? i also can make computer voices male and i can find someone to make it female
Ah, nice. The new confed voices provided by maxaxle are all male, so we could use a female version of them.

From the sounds of it, you'd probably want to pick one of the alien races. There's lengthy instructions in how to make those (they require a lot of postprocessing - don't worry, we can do the postprocessing if you're not up for it).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
abysswolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by abysswolf »

meh i can do it im good using FL9 i use orange vocodex for that... also klauss you have a PM from me