Need help with turrets...

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
KingMatthewI
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Need help with turrets...

Post by KingMatthewI »

I know already how to place them, however I can't figure out how to make them point to the side and limit them to a certain firing arc.

The attached illustration should explain. (note that my ship does not look like a bunch of blocks put together)

the black drawing is the ship

the red lines represent the firing arc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Need help with turrets...

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome KingMatthewI that is defined in the units.csv file and each type of turret has it's tracking limits defined there i don't think there is a way to tweak individual turrets just all of a particular type at once the values may be in radians not degrees.So if you are fixated on the custom turret you will have to create a new one for each turret on the ship and even then i am not sure whether it will work as you want there is a tool for editing units.csv in the Developer Tools & User Utilities area http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... =20&t=7143 that is better than a speadsheet program that and exel has a tendency to to bork the format on save :twisted: OOo's calc does a marginally better job if you remember the delimiters on the save.If you have further questions just post.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
KingMatthewI
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by KingMatthewI »

ok however you may have to explain how each part works

I understand how to place turrets on the ship while editing units.csv, however:

its the fore, up, and restricted categories that have me confused.

can anyone highlight what those parts do :?

"{filename(string);x(meters);y(meters);z(meters);forex(meters);forey(meters);forez(meters);
upx(meters);upy(meters);upz(meters);restricted(meters)}"
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

You and just about everybody else :wink: ace123 or jackS may be by with the authoritative answer there is a new tool for converting obj mtl files to our in-game format it has a helper function for placing weapon mount points,turrets and blinky lights http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 20&t=11885 the link for the latest version is in pyramid's sig and i imagine that he would appreciate some feedback on it's usability :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

That basically says the position and orientation of each turret. The position is just a 3d vector relative to the mesh

Orientation requires two unit vectors: pointing forward and pointing up. Forward is the turret's forward direction (where it is usually aiming relative to the front of the ship) and the up direction (fore should be the same as the normal vector of the polygon it is sitting on. Up can often just be some vector 90 degrees from the up direction (so that its dot product is 0).

For the restricted one I have no clue but maybe it means how many degrees the turret is allowed to turn? Try copying some similar turret's restricted value for now.