Messing with texture backrounds

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
dividenot
Trader
Trader

Messing with texture backrounds

Post by dividenot »

A funny thing happened when I was messing with the texture backrounds. Essentially all I did was Change the file green_light.bmp in C:\Program Files\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0\.vegastrike-0.5.0\textures\backgrounds , by inverting the colors, and restarted the game(I made a backup copy of the file).

As I restarted the game I expected the actual system backround to be different but what actually happened was the texture of the ship on the landing pad changed.

I was looking for the images where the system backrounds were kept and that's the only place I found system backround images. Am I looking in the wrong place?
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Messing with texture backrounds

Post by pyramid »

You have actually edited the environment map.

The backgrounds are stored in data/textures/backgrounds where you have six files per background (the six sides of a cube).
dividenot
Trader
Trader

Post by dividenot »

Um, having trouble finding the data folder. I did search for it in my vegastrike folder but all it finds is a file in the cockpits\nav folder, and a folder and some files in the vstrade add-on folders I downloaded from the out-of-game tools in the wiki.

:lol:

After searching some more I find six files named green_up.bmp, green_down.bmp, green_left.bmp, green_right.bmp and green_back.bmp. And lightgreen_up.bmp, down, left, right, etc, ect...

That brings me to my next problem. I've found these files before but haven't been able to open them with any of my programs. Windows image viewers won't open them, I have GIMP and that won't open them, I just downloaded Irfanview and Inkscape, and both of those won't open them.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

The correct folder on your system should be "C:\Program Files\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0\textures\backgrounds"

For GIMp you'll need the dds plug-in. For IrfanView you'll need to install the additional plug-ins, too. It works fine here. See the IrfanView Help/InstalledPlugins menu for help.