flightgroup directives

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
jacs
Explorer
Explorer

flightgroup directives

Post by jacs »

This should probably go into the wiki in the section about flightgroup directives (http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... :Functions)
It's mostly a compilation of messages and comments from the source code and complements the current wiki article.

A, a > // a is now used for AI, for backward compatibility. do not use for player
B, b > (break and attack) -- default, everyone attacks like normal [taken from current wiki]
H, h > "Help me out!"
F, f > "Form on my wing."
L, l > "Get in front of me and prepare to be tractored in."
E, e > "I am ejecting! Record the current location of my ship." ... "Then get over here and pick me up!"
K, k > "Attack my target!" [K might not work right now, use k]
P, p > "Defend my target!"

some details to "l" and "e"

L, l > "Get in front of me and prepare to be tractored in."
// this order is only valid for cargo wingmen, other wingmen will not comply
// if i am a cargo wingman, get into a dockable position
// facing me
// if i am a cargo wingman and so is the player, get into a dockable position with the leader
// facing it
// if i am the capship, go into defensive mode
// if i'm not a cargo wingman, just form up somewhat loosely.
facing in the same direction as the leader

E, e > "I am ejecting! Record the current location of my ship." ... "Then get over here and pick me up!"
should work pretty much the same as L, l
// this order is only valid for cargo wingmen, other wingmen will not comply
// if i'm not a cargo wingman, IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM.

"" -> firekeyboard.cpp
// -> aggressive.cpp

btw. for all newbies like me
an up to date / complete ?? list of key binding possibilities:
/trunk/vegastrike/src/config_xml.cpp
or for a peek without svn
http://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... ig_xml.cpp
(line 565...)
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: flightgroup directives

Post by pyramid »

Excellent and exemplary research with the fruits prepared to be picked.
This descriptions make it much more easy to understand the commands and make also much more sense than the previous descriptions.

Wiki Development:Python:Functions#Flight_Groups updated.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Hello Jacs

it is a great news could you think with your help we can be enhance the AI
for be more subtile??

for exemple: why Pirate want hit you with a hyena and you have flighting into Goddard??

is stupid if i m pirate i m not Kamikaze my goal is stay in life for attack: CARGO or nice ship for sold it after? and use my money for enjoing some illegal stuff!

don't you think?
jacs
Explorer
Explorer

Post by jacs »

Hi Fendorin

you are quite right about those pirates (even though pirates might not be the smartest people in space :-) ).
But implementing the option to engage or not is (probably) more complicated than it might appear.

It has to be done on a flight group basis - we wouldn't want to have 20 fighters running away from that Goddard of yours :-). But most of the fighting ai is (or seems to be) based on a ship to ship basis.

Apparently there is no proper AI for Flight groups and the flight group directives seem to be rather made for missions and wingmen.

Flight group tactics would be great - but they probably have to be implemented from scratch - and I only had a brief look on the code up to now...
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

It has to be done on a flight group basis - we wouldn't want to have 20 fighters running away from that Goddard of yours Smile. But most of the fighting ai is (or seems to be) based on a ship to ship basis.

Apparently there is no proper AI for Flight groups and the flight group directives seem to be rather made for missions and wingmen.

Flight group tactics would be great - but they probably have to be implemented from scratch - and I only had a brief look on the code up to now...
is exactly what it need to be improve

i remenber a french movie maker sentences (about making movie):

nice picture with bad scenario=always bad movie
bad picture(means poor production) with good scenario=can be both: good movie or very good movie

also good picture with good scenari=realy good movie

at the moment manny commercial game have a realy good picture but realy poor content
we could made a nice graphic game but what is it just a shoot them up with enhanced graphic?

it's a free game but is not a synonimous of playtime for geek

i think with a few effort and good organisation a simply script we can enhanced a lot the IA of VS and the possibility too
-buy a station
-conquest a system and sold it give it too faction
- entrance in a confed assembly
"create your own faction"
dig asteroid
become a real pirate

i want a corrupted universe !!!!
jacs
Explorer
Explorer

Post by jacs »

Offtopic: That must be an old moviemaker - or how come French movies have moved from great and greatest (Nouvelle Vague) to great picture - bad story (almost all recent (big) French productions) from purple rivers to Indian Kung-Fu in 18th century France? :-)

I do agree with you, tough (all of it).
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

ahahah nouvelle vague is like a joke in France :

when some guy made movie (use a public found)
and i haven't good scenari but what for all price (again public found) become
entrance in the Parisian's movie maker world i call his movie : Nouvelle Vague

nouvelle vague is a empty movie all french know that just artistic practice
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Anyway :

Maybe i have a simple idea for improve the pirate skill:
they ask you to pay some credits before fighting with you : more you pay less they are agressiv with you but more they search you....

and it's would be great is the invert is possible they pay you more than the bounty hunter mission but you loose faction point with both( of course nobody can't trust you)

i don't know if it's difficult for coding?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

It's already set up so that pirates are more aggressive if you have cargo than if you don't and that they'll (generally) prefer the cargo you're dumping to pursuing you.

However, it's both ad hoc and without a formal "please dump your cargo or we'll fire" sort of initial pause.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

nobody know that???

i never kow..

and pirate can't pay you for the moment?? for left them do a little business in peace when you are under bounty contrac again them???

my english is poor sorry