Mesher needs maintainer

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Mesher needs maintainer

Post by charlieg »

A very important part of VS is the mesher application. It needs a maintainer and is much simpler in scope than VS itself. It is a good opportunity for somebody who would like to contribute to VS but lacks the time or knowledge to get into the main codebase.

Contact pyramid for details. Also see here for details. And here for bugs.

It is a critical part of the art pipeline.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

(bump)

Please, if any of you can code in C++ or Python, and are interested in becoming a VS hero overnight, reply here or contact any of us.

The mesher project is independent of the engine, and requires no knowledge of how the engine works... just about the types of things each format supports.

I and the other developers would be willing to give you any help you need.

Thanks
CaptainGoon
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by CaptainGoon »

I just posted on the red pill thread....

I'd be willing to take a look at this for you guys. I don't know python all that well, but I'm solid in C++.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome CaptainGoon have you had a look at the mesher code yet :?: The Python requirement is mainly for wrapping a GUI around mesher it's self as cmd line apps are not very artist friendly but if you feel more comfortable with C++ there is always Glade.klauss who has been taking care of mesher should make a comment here soon as well and if you have specific questions he would be your major resource.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
CaptainGoon

Post by CaptainGoon »

I'm getting into the code now, and I'm working on developing some simple models to throw through the mesher so I can figure out what's going on and how it works. I would appreciate it if someone could send me a model that is kind of a "catch all" for all of the things the mesher does. Even if you have a few models that I could use for testing it would help.

Thanks
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

You could use the models in the masters svn repo https://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/ ... k/masters/ that should get you started i will look around to see if there is one that uses all of mesher's options and let you know,

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2