Red Pill signup thread

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Red Pill signup thread

Post by jackS »

Viewing of the forum for work-in-progress and spoiler-laden VS universe-backstory/story/quest/etc. documentation is handled on an opt-in basis.

Those contributors wishing to work as writers, editors, campaign scripters, or otherwise interested in working with/on story related material set within/based on the VS universe should reply to this thread so that their account permissions can be modified to include access to the Authoring forum.

As of the present moment, those not interested in working on said areas are discouraged from signing up as A) there's nothing much to see yet in the way of anything _implemented in-game_ based on the developed story-work that exists (and hence there's little that's meaningfully exploitable), and B) what is there isn't in a particularly user-friendly (or even universally consistent) state.
When sufficient crafting and editing has occurred, I imagine we can create a distinct area featuring sufficiently finished works, be it on a forum or wiki, for those who are interested in spoilers for spoilers sake, but that time is not now and that forum is not the Authoring forum. Until that time, we thank you for your patience :).
Mark Williamson
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Red Pill signup thread

Post by Mark Williamson »

You may have already guessed but I'd like to sign up, please ;) Would be good to get some discussions going and then I can think about cracking on with some campaign coding!
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Re: Red Pill signup thread

Post by jackS »

Mark Williamson wrote:You may have already guessed but I'd like to sign up, please ;) Would be good to get some discussions going and then I can think about cracking on with some campaign coding!
You've been added to the group, Please let me know if you have any trouble viewing/posting/etc. in the Authoring forum. :)
ZX81
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ZX81 »

Dear Mister Minister!
I usually do not have any spare time - but due to special circumstances last week this very special open source game came to my attraction 8) i played a little and really felt in love. In early eighties i started with a Cobra Mark III to become elite and vegastrike is a nearly perfect reincarnation of this long term motivating idea to discover the universe. I'd like to contribute. I can bring along 25 years experience in project-mgmt, bad english and good manners (mostly). I do prefer C but phyton doesn't look like rocket science. So i have to reorganize my duties and try to contibute about 8 h per week in scripting campaignes, if you like :D
my box: ZX81, 1 kByte Ram + the big memory extension box w 16 kByte Ram and some other stuff
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

ZX81 wrote:Dear Mister Minister!
I usually do not have any spare time - but due to special circumstances last week this very special open source game came to my attraction 8) i played a little and really felt in love. In early eighties i started with a Cobra Mark III to become elite and vegastrike is a nearly perfect reincarnation of this long term motivating idea to discover the universe. I'd like to contribute. I can bring along 25 years experience in project-mgmt, bad english and good manners (mostly). I do prefer C but phyton doesn't look like rocket science. So i have to reorganize my duties and try to contibute about 8 h per week in scripting campaignes, if you like :D
I've added you to the group. Take a read through the document that's linked from the first stickied post in the Authoring forum. One of the things you'll probably notice is that it's not organized in a particularly useful fashion. Perhaps you could turn some of your project management experience toward pondering how we should organize the data that needs to be disseminated to those working on the project :). In any case, welcome aboard, and any suggestions on any topics, be they from from experience or whim, are always welcome to be heard (that being in part the purpose of the Authoring forum :) ).
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

I would be interested in seeing this for features not yet implemented such as planetary flight and exploration, to see what the roadmap is and what will be needed in terms of ships, but if this is the wrong place for that then I don't think I want all the spoilers right now :wink:
spiffariffic
Trader
Trader

Post by spiffariffic »

I'm interested in the writing / editing of the story / campaign. I've debated this choice for a while now, and would like to be a part of the game development in this area.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Added (spiffariffic, Xit)
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

I don't know if Mark Williamson needs help but if so I'm willing to script some for the campaign. or do anything else that someone points me at. 8)

Seems like a great project to be a part of. :D
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Hell, I don't have much time to spare, with all my PU involvement; but on the other hand, story writing is my thing, and if there's one thing I always complained about the lack of in vegastrike is story to go with it, so, give me the red pill and throw me in. I'll see what I can come up with, after I've had a look at what's there.

If nothing else, I could spare a few hours a week editing other people's written material; something I'm good at.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

added (chuck_starchaser, bgaskey)

FYI to readers of the Authoring forum:
I need to buckle down and focus on my thesis proposal presentation for the next couple of weeks, so please try not to feel that I'm ignoring you if things that I really should be responding to come up and I let them queue for a while or only partially address them before late March. Your patience is appreciated.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Okay, I was going to ask where to go to get started, but I guess it really starts in late march, then?
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

I know my first port of call is to get cracking on the PDF, but even I have to wait til I get my assignments out of the way :wink:
Save The Economy
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=10605

My boxes: Dual Opteron 280s, Geforce 7600, 2GB RAM, but waiting for a new PSU! grrr...
500 MHz Compaq laptop that gives DC electric burns
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@chuck do grab the PDF and the doc file as well history and background info to digest.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

loki1950 wrote:@chuck do grab the PDF and the doc file as well history and background info to digest.
Are those the documents linked here?:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 8726#18726
BTW, the svn links are 404.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There are links in the first post of the Authoring forum that you should now see :wink: although you could see it before having moderator status.the PDF is the full back story and history doc while the second concentrates on the Fraternal War.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Something's wrong... I don't see (and never saw) any "Authoring" forum. In fact, searching the main forum page for "auth" finds nothing.
(And, yes; I'm logged in. :P)
I'm thinking, maybe JackS added "chuck starchaser" instead of "chuck_starchaser" to the group. "chuck starchaser" (with space) is my WIKI editing personae, because the wiki was removing the underscore and getting confused, not letting me log-in, so I had to clone myself, so to speak.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Will look in to that for you chuck.

jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

should be fixed now
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Is it cherry or veriberry flavor?

Either way I'll take it, sign me up.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Deus Siddis wrote:Is it cherry or veriberry flavor?

Either way I'll take it, sign me up.
Vermilion :)

(done)
bengreenwood
Merchant
Merchant

Post by bengreenwood »

I'd be interested in contributing to the story, missions etc. I can also be responsible for getting voice acting done, too, if you want. I have experience of doing it for my Half-Life episode and also have Sound Forge which is useful for converting stuff/ getting rid of noise etc.
bengreenwood
Merchant
Merchant

Post by bengreenwood »

Guys, can I join in with this? I have a few ideas for missions/ characters that I think would be pretty entertaining.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@bengreenwood you might have to give the minister a bit off a poke :wink: send him a PM so he gets an e-mail he has not been too active lately i imagine he is up to his eyeballs in end of academic year stuff :roll: