Solutions for the disappearing bases bug

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
mduf
Trader
Trader

Solutions for the disappearing bases bug

Post by mduf »

This post concern only those who want to play the svn version

I'm still not familiar with the vegastrike code but I found two quick solutions for the disappearing bases bug. It can help those who want to test or play the svn version. I have attach replacement files for fg_util.py and random_encounters.py that are in your data4.x/modules directory.

The problems was that when it launch the bases that are store in the missionstringdata (which is read from the save file) it launch the number of bases that are landed. this number is set to zero later so next time you restart vegastrike it read zero landed base.

First solution: I modified BaseFG (in fg_util)so it read number of ship in flightgroup instead. And to prevent the bases from been relaunch at every jump (which will make a lot of bases after few) I have modify random_encounters so lauchBases is call only if it's a new system. this solutions work well, maybe it can interfere with the dynamic universe but it's lot better than see every systems you have already visited empty.

Second solution: There was a bit of code that wasn't use anymore, the PurgZeroShips function. I reactivate the part that make sure that the number of landed ships is equal to the number of ships in flight group. It's call before the bases are launch. It work, also you won't receive error message like "error more ships launch than in flightgroup" at the beginning. But it as one adverse effects it's very long to launch vegastrike. I have only an athlon 600 MHz and it had seven minutes to the vegastrike starting time. Maybe it's not a big problem if you have newer computer. I think this wasn't a big problem in version 0.4.3 when there was less traffic. So I recommend the first one.

For the first solution
replace those file with fg_util.sol1.py and random_encounters.sol1.py.

For the second solution replace fg_util.py by fg_util.sol2.py.
It's not necessary but you can also replace random_encounters.py by random_encounters.sol1.py, it will prevent the bases to be loaded again if you reload your game (ex: if you die ).

So have fun playing and testing the svn version
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mduf
Trader
Trader

Post by mduf »

I have made patch files. That way you can quickly see what are the changes and that there no malicious code in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

That's excellent!... But I can't use SVN, it slows to a crawl after a couple of jumps (more traffic than my rig can handle).

Still, I'm sure the devs will find it handy. Good on you, keep tweaking!
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Hey :-) Just letting you know i have seen this, and will be looking shortly - in the midst of exams, so negative time atm :-P (despite the fact that i have in fact found my way here... that's another story)

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso