2 emitter shield problem

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

2 emitter shield problem

Post by z30 »

Hello all, I've been having problems making the 2 emitter shields available for our PR user mod. Privateer Remake currently uses the 4 emitter shields as standard fyi.

I have placed the appropriate entries in the master_parts_list.csv and for the ship entry in units.csv I've used :

{shield_2_Level3;;}{shield_4_level2;;}{reactor_level_2;;}

This is for the civilian version of the WCU Hornet which we've ported over to Privateer.

The idea is to provide players with a choice between 4 sided shields providing all around protection or 2 sided shields which cost less and recharge faster.

You can actually see the 2 emitter models showing up in the equipment upgrade list but the "Buy" button doesn't show up and the items are shaded in the color reserved for items that can't be mounted on your particular ship.

Is this something related to ship type restrictions? How do I bypass this?
zeo1234
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by zeo1234 »

:shock: Surprised no one has even offered a guess yet?

Well, I haven't seen the file but a wild guess, which probably will be wrong, on my part would be to make sure the upgrade category for the shield generator is also in the ship upgrade parameter. Unless I'm mistaken they have to match up perfectly otherwise the item will be put as incompatable.

I have noticed some of the new ships in the 1.1 mod can't mount weapons even though they have weapons mount points that state which types they can take. Probably related issue maybe?

Just thought I'd offer some ideas.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

as things currently stand, the number of shield facings a vessel has is calculated as a property of the vessel - thus it can take only one class of either 2, 4, etc. facing shields. It would actually be quite a mess to try to make it otherwise in the code base as it currently stands without having a new type of upgrade that explicitly alters the number of shield facings.
zeo1234
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by zeo1234 »

So it would just be easier to create a ship variant that uses the different shield type rather than let one ship handle both?
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

This is actually what we ended up doing in the Privateer mod project.

We had to stick to the 4 emitter shield model but modified it so variants were available. The variants were twice as thick fore and aft and half as thick on the sides.

So a Level 2 shield having a fore/left/right/aft protection value of 20/20/20/20 would end up having a variant (called Level 2.5 shield) that was 30/10/10/30 strong.

It worked out beautifully when done this way since a ship having a max shield rating of Level 2.5 would have access to 2.0, 1.5, 1.0 and so forth.

Fast, small fighters benefited the most from this but even medium merchant ships like the Galaxy (the Millenium Falcon of PR) ended up with more protection for less energy cost.