space elevator won't go up...

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Use the -dims option in mesher to have it spit out min/max coordinates if you're worried about sizes being incorrect.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Thanks! I didn't know that one.

CoffeeBot, I posted the updated bfxm's and patches to have the model IG, orbiting Atlantis, to your forum.
http://www.coffeebot.net/vsbb/viewtopic.php?p=182#182
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

Alrighty. I got it working ingame, and it's impressive.

I also noticed exactly what the issue with "Scaling" is that everyone complains about, and how it doesn't seem like things are very big.

Compare:

My ship, the stock starting Llama, from the outside. You really see how bloody huge this thing is.

Now, from the exact same position, but from the cockpit

If you can't immediately see the problem, here's the two images. The external shot is the base, and the cockpit view overlaid:

This isn't quite right, imo. Is there an easy way to change the way the cockpit camera sees the world? I'm willing to play around with it to find the right zoom and angles, if there is.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

But that is right, CoffeeBot. There shouldn't be any appreciable change. Think of it this way: How far from the ship is the external camera? 50 meters? 100 meters? 200 meters?
Spit in the bucket!
The tunnel entrance in front of you, as well as the walls around the octogonal space you're near the center of, are like 4 to 6 kilometers away. The problem, if anything, is that they should seem a lot nearer than they really are. Remember, if you're flying a Llama at 240, you're flying at over 2/3 the speed of sound! (on Earth, of course)... --which wouldn't seem the case, since it's reached in too little time, from a dead stop... :D
It takes half a minute to get across that space, at jet-liner cruising speed.
The external camera's viewpoint, and the cockpit viewpoint, are quite almost the same point in space, when you consider the scale of this thing.
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

Well, I guess my thought would be that, since they're so bloody large, I should get a feeling that this gaping maw is just LOOMING over my head, when in fact it doesn't feel much larger than the entrance to Serenity station.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Right. That's the problem. Sense of scale is not easily gained. And for all we know, the entrance of Serenity station need not be terribly small either. I've frankly no idea how big or small it is. Shouldn't be too smal, after all, Serenity is an asteroid mining station, and we see Clydesdales coming and going. If it were only a few kilometers in size, it wouldn't last a week at that rate of mining :)

Anyways, for a sense of scale, park the ship where you have it in that shot, and then zoom out with F12. Put something heavy on the F12 key, and go make coffee... :D
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Anyways, for a sense of scale, park the ship where you have it in that shot, and then zoom out with F12. Put something heavy on the F12 key, and go make coffee... :D
Yeah. You're right. Dayum, she's huuuge.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Dual uvmappings come with Ogre. I'm not really paying much attention to BFXM, as we'll move out to .mesh, which is Ogre's native format, with lots of interesting things.

As for shadows... that's for later. Shadows are really problematic. We'll have to do some serious magic to get them to work. Not that ogre doesn't support them... it's just that it supports them at a too high level - doesn't let us tweak it the way we have to.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe