Where to Go to Contribute

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Where to Go to Contribute

Post by CoffeeBot »

I've been looking around for sticky notes about where to send your volunteer requests to help out with the project.

Most of my time would probably be best spent working on documentation and story-writing, but I have done some 3D ship-modelling in the past, and I'm no stranger to graphic design. Code-wise, I'm not all that great, but I do quite a bit of web programming, so I might-could help out there.

Please point me in the right direction, cuz I'm eager to help out with such a great project!
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

:D

Documentation is always good. No need to request to volunteer, you can just log into the wiki with your forums account and go to work. ;)

As for the 3d modelling... you might want to browse the ships list in the wiki and see if there's anything that needs to be modelled.

FYI, jackS is your man when it comes to anything related to VS fiction. You should contact him for clarifications of ship descriptions, story questions, etc.
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

Cool, thanks.

I'm not so sure I'm ready to just dive into Documentation, though. I still have much to learn about VS.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

CoffeeBot,

Best bet for starters is just to read the information in the wiki first - begin with the manual to get a feel for the game, game documentation and what you think is missing. Then, expand out and read the additional notes contained in the wiki. That way you can get a true feel for the game, plus see for yourself what documentation is lacking.

You can then work on filling in any blanks. If you are concerned about providing information, post it to the documentation forum if you want, for public review and comment. There are still lots of places yet to be filled.

A good place for other documentation is the news stories. There was a thread (long ago, but still around somewhere) about how to contribute news stories - its where I got started. Contact dandandaman for details if interested.
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

I like the News Posts idea. That's probably where I would start out, myself. Thanks for the help!