units.csv beta release thread

A forum for the discussion and development of programs to assist working on or playing with the Vegastrike engine and data sets.
JasonStiletto
Merchant
Merchant

units.csv beta release thread

Post by JasonStiletto »

beta... for the units.csv editor.. is here

vsdataboy-linux32.zip
vsdataboy-win32.zip

all basic functionality implemented. Download it, put it in the vegastrike data directory, or probably wherever your vs app happens to be (less sure) and it should run. Let me know if anything doesn't work. Or if you find a crash I didn't. Or alternately, let me know of anything it doesn't do that you'd like it to.

gtk1 linux and winapi win32 app included. If for some reason the linux app doesn't work with your setup (and it should) if you've got wine the win32 version will run.

source coming later after some clean up.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

thx Jason no problems with on it my fc5 install just a double-click to fire it up 8) btw great name

Enjoy the Choice :)
JasonStiletto
Merchant
Merchant

Post by JasonStiletto »

maybe it needs a mascot. I have no art in my soul, only code.

I would ultimately like it to be able to edit most things (data wise) VS, but I donno if I have that kind of commitment.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:) *Packs it up and brings it home* :arrow:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
JasonStiletto
Merchant
Merchant

Post by JasonStiletto »

let me know of any bugs or potentially useful features. It's not like I have no ideas, but the things I will do with it are probably not everything that can or should be done with it.
Gatling
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

am i too stupid?

Post by Gatling »

hi there,

i just tried to use it but couldn´t find the files to edit.
where do i have to start it from or where can i find the units?

gatling
JasonStiletto
Merchant
Merchant

Post by JasonStiletto »

sine it figures out where the directory is the same way the game does, basically, if you find Vegastrike.exe on your system and run it from the directory that it's in, it should work. Likewise, if you run it from inside the data4.x or data directory, it would also work. Since I have only run vegastrike via direct SVN download, I'm not sure where it places them by default.

Still working on the newer versions of both of my utilities. Should be out inside of two weeks.
peter
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: units.csv beta release thread

Post by peter »

JasonStiletto wrote:beta... for the units.csv editor.. is here

vsdataboy-linux32.zip
vsdataboy-win32.zip

all basic functionality implemented. Download it, put it in the vegastrike data directory, or probably wherever your vs app happens to be (less sure) and it should run. Let me know if anything doesn't work. Or if you find a crash I didn't. Or alternately, let me know of anything it doesn't do that you'd like it to.

gtk1 linux and winapi win32 app included. If for some reason the linux app doesn't work with your setup (and it should) if you've got wine the win32 version will run.

source coming later after some clean up.
Can we get that source soon, please? Or at least a statically compiled version? Your Linux binary is horribly broken on my Debian (unstable) system. It runs, but after I poke the directory selection control a couple times to get it to actually find the files (the first time, it looks for .units/units.csv), it loads units.csv (and I can see data running through the text fields). But as soon as it's done, it pops up a window that says "Access violation. ok to ignore and risk data corruption. cancel to kill the program". If I let it continue, no matter what I select in the index, it shows me the stats for an AsteroidFighterBase.

terminal output of strace -efile ./vsdataboy
stat("/tmp/data-0.4.3/", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0775, st_size=640, ...}) = 0
chdir("/tmp/data-0.4.3") = 0
stat("/tmp/data-0.4.3/units/units.csv", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=887324, ...}) = 0
open("/tmp/data-0.4.3/master_part_list.csv", O_RDONLY) = 8
open("/tmp/data-0.4.3/master_part_list.csv_noblanks", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC, 0666) = 9
open("/tmp/data-0.4.3/master_part_list.csv_noblanks", O_RDONLY) = 8
open("/tmp/data-0.4.3/units/units.csv", O_RDONLY) = 8
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
TApplication.HandleException Access violation
Stack trace:
open("/net/tesla/usr/local/src/vegastrike/vsdataboy/vsdataboy", O_RDONLY) = 9
$08059499
$081CBA71
$080758BD TFM_DATABOY__POPULATEDB, line 643 of vsedit.pas
$0807BDD5 TFM_DATABOY__DATADIRACCEPTDIRECTORY, line 1587 of vsedit.pas
$081E2CDF TDIRECTORYEDIT__RUNDIALOG, line 810 of editbtn.pas
$081E2C07 TDIRECTORYEDIT__DOBUTTONCLICK, line 787 of editbtn.pas
$0805E2B5
$080F7DF8 TWINCONTROL__ISCONTROLMOUSEMSG, line 2918 of ./include/wincontrol.inc
$080F8B55 TWINCONTROL__WNDPROC, line 3407 of ./include/wincontrol.inc
$0806E1F3 TCUSTOMFORM__WNDPROC, line 918 of ./include/customform.inc
$08118795 DELIVERMOUSEUPMESSAGE, line 1509 of gtkcallback.inc
$08118862 GTKMOUSEBTNRELEASE, line 1558 of gtkcallback.inc
$B7DA8D1C
$B7DDB760
$B7DDC8AF
$B7DDCF02
$B7E19085

So you can debug that, or you can provide source and I can try compiling it :P

I could try it under Wine, but I don't drink. :P Seriously, I'd much rather have source code, so if there's some minor change in units.csv, the program can be updated even if you've lost interest in Vegastrike and aren't maintaining it anymore. This happened to VSnav, with the save file format.

BTW, I'm making a list of out-of-game tools for vegastrike, focusing on stuff players might use while playing. vsdataboy does such a good job of displaying stats that I'm including it. http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/OOG_Tools
(Although probably a good spreadsheet would be used more, since you could sort it and see multiple rows at once.) But if you are attacked by some ships and you can't remember whether they tore you apart last time or not, vsdataboy might be just the trick.
gkelly
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by gkelly »

I'm getting the 'Access violation...' message too, though I'm using the Windows version on windows 2k.

after I select 'OK', I get the following error -

Runtime error 217 at $004D3429
$004D3429 TSTRINGPROPEDITORFRM_SORTBUTTONCLICK, line 100 of stringspropeditdlg.pas
$004F5B1A
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

peter wrote:Seriously, I'd much rather have source code, so if there's some minor change in units.csv, the program can be updated even if you've lost interest in Vegastrike and aren't maintaining it anymore. This happened to VSnav, with the save file format.
VSnav actually isn't quite in that state. I have the source, and I made some fixes and feature additions to it (long ago), but I'm not sure if I can release them. (It's a gray issue, so there's flexibility, but I just don't want to step on anyone's toes.)

I've tried contacting iqAuto about that, but we've both been pretty inactive. Plus, even once I eventually return to Vega Strike, I probably won't want to continue developing VSnav in its current state. I've moved from Perl to Ruby, and looking at Perl code gives me headaches now. ;)

If it's still the best tool for the job, though, I might consider porting it, or releasing the Perl version for someone else to maintain.
JasonStiletto
Merchant
Merchant

Post by JasonStiletto »

working on a release with source, will take a few days because I stopped in the middle of a changeover.
thawn
Explorer
Explorer

Post by thawn »

JasonStiletto wrote:beta... for the units.csv editor.. is here

vsdataboy-linux32.zip
vsdataboy-win32.zip

the links are broken... :(
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@thawn it was only a viewer as save had not been implemented try GAlex's editor it works http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=7143 a bit hard to get used to but it grows on you.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
thawn
Explorer
Explorer

Post by thawn »

loki1950 wrote:@thawn it was only a viewer as save had not been implemented try GAlex's editor it works http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=7143
thanks for the quick and helpful reply
a bit hard to get used to but it grows on you.
it is growing by the minute :wink:
I am - a LOT!
thanks for giving me that choice!