a couple neub questions

A forum for the discussion and development of programs to assist working on or playing with the Vegastrike engine and data sets.
ridingnowhere85
Explorer
Explorer

a couple neub questions

Post by ridingnowhere85 »

okay, here are a couple of complete neub questions:
1. where are my saved files hidden? can't find them

2. what app can i download, or how can i otherwise disassemble the hidden folder within the app, to get to things like milky_way.xml

3. how do i edit the saved files, and can i do it and "save as..." so i don't interrupt my game? just wanna have a little fun :D

i'm running MacOS X 10.4.7
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@ridingnowhere85 i don't have a Mac so with that caveat your save game files should be in .vegastrike hidden directory i don't know how you get Finder to show them :? and when you find them any text editor will do.there might be some OSX stuff in the wiki :idea: hope this will get you started :)

Enjoy the Choice :)
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

1. where are my saved files hidden? can't find them

Open the "Terminal" application, and type "open .vegastrike043"
The save files are located in the "save" folder you can see.

2. what app can i download, or how can i otherwise disassemble the hidden folder within the app, to get to things like milky_way.xml

Control click on the app, and select "Show Package Contents"
You then want to click down through the "Contents" then "Resources" then "universe" folders, and there you have it.

3. how do i edit the saved files, and can i do it and "save as..." so i don't interrupt my game? just wanna have a little fun Very Happy

TextEdit *should* work for editing, but don't quote me on that. You may need to find a proper plain text editor or something (I use jEdit).

And sorry, but the only way to load your changes successfully is to edit the save file while *not* playing, then start vegastrike.

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
ridingnowhere85
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ridingnowhere85 »

Thanks. i got in all right, but i have one more question: how do i edit the save file? i expected it to be a little more straightforward than it actually is. for example, where's it show what ship i have and my dollar amount? just the line would be fine, i'll do a little search for it with command-f
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@ridingnowhere85 that's the easy one i don't need to call on renforcments for :wink: first off no need go searching it's the first line between the "^"'s is your bank balance right next to it is your fleet list separated by"|" the first is your cuurent ship i find it easier to just hack the balance and just buy that dream ship in game though there are several that you can't buy that's when you add it to your list 8) and a file for the ship it's self in .vegastrike/serialized_xml/(your save name) each ship in your fleet has it's own .cvs file have fun 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)

edit: ps you can't sell your first ship llama.begin