Lost on 2D Maps of 3D Universe? Announcing VSMap3D 1.3.5

A forum for the discussion and development of programs to assist working on or playing with the Vegastrike engine and data sets.
templer666
Trader
Trader

VSMap3D version 1.3

Post by templer666 »

Finally, I found some time to do some improvements. Result is version 1.3 (see first post in this thread for detailed changes).

Outlook on 1.4:
1) improve the navigation through the universe to what was suggested earlier by Halleck
2) replace Qt text rendering by using texture mapping for better speed

Other requests/suggestions welcome!

Thx to all users for the feedback!

cheers
Life has a funny way sneaking up on you!
Got VSMap3D?
templer666
Trader
Trader

new binaries

Post by templer666 »

:oops: sorry for the troubles, apparently the sources from yesterday produce a SIGSEGV in Linux. I looked into it and changed the code forth and back and suddenly it works. *mysterious*

As a bonus, there's also a linux 8) binary downloadable from the VSMap3D website. The shared Linux binary was built on a Kubuntu 7.10 with gcc and qt 4.3 installed using apt-get.
Got VSMap3D?
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: new binaries

Post by pyramid »

Excellent work! :D I'll try the linux build as soon as I'm at home.

Two suggestions that would help selecting systems for campaign writing.
1) It would be nice to be able toggle system colors by faction or, even better, have them connected by faction colored routes or even embedded in one colored semi-transparent bubble surrounding all systems of the same faction.
2) At least display the faction of the system in the list tree, and maybe even allow filtering by faction.
templer666
Trader
Trader

Post by templer666 »

I had this in mind already! I'll put it on the list for 1.4:

3) visualize system ownership by factions
4.b) add filtering of systems by faction

Already in the tool:
4.a) The faction of the system is displayed in the tooltip when you hover with your mouse over a system in the tree

Do you need this more "visual"?

Thx for your feedback!
Got VSMap3D?
templer666
Trader
Trader

a glance at 1.4

Post by templer666 »

I finished a few points of the list for 1.4. :)

I made a screenshot running on Linux at 1920x1200:

It shows the famous route from Cephid_17 to Sol with the stars surrounded by large translucent bubbles in the color of the faction owning the system. Also, the system name shows in the faction's color.

Is this what a "mission creator" would need?
Got VSMap3D?
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: a glance at 1.4

Post by pyramid »

templer666 wrote:Is this what a "mission creator" would need?
Yes. Absolutely amazing :!:
Also your build (1.3) runs without problems on my distro (openSuse 10.3).
templer666
Trader
Trader

Linux version of 1.3.1

Post by templer666 »

I believe I won't have *that* much time the next weeks for my baby. That's why I put a 1.3.1 linux binary on the vsmap3d website covering point 3) from the todo list for 1.4.

It's pretty cool seeing the spread of factions in the universe 8)

If you need the bubbles bigger or smaller just use the spinner in the view menu. But be warned, updating the thousands of display lists does take 1 or 2 secs!

Light is enabled by default now as I finally set up the stars and the gl sceene for lighting. Stars look much prettier now. Also, toggling factions will colorize the system names, too.
Got VSMap3D?
templer666
Trader
Trader

1.3.2 linux+win32+source online

Post by templer666 »

1.3.2 brings 4.b) from the todo list for 1.4

Just press Shift after the universe was loaded. It's self explanatory.
Got VSMap3D?
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: 1.3.2 linux+win32+source online

Post by pyramid »

Whenever you come around to it. A "sector" name display toggle would be appreciated, e.g. Ctrl+S. In this way you could add sector name before the system name when it's toggled on. This would help in finding the sector name to which a specific system belongs in order to create custom fixed system files in case you need special installations always to be there and thus cannot rely on the random system generation.
templer666
Trader
Trader

Post by templer666 »

it's on my list now ;-)
Got VSMap3D?
Zann
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Zann »

Hi.
I tried vsmap3d 1.3.5
Is vsmap3d supposed to use around 500 Mb ram?
I tried both the precompiled linux binary and I build it myself from source.

Code: Select all

USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
zann       31035  5.6 49.6 508764 514332 pts/5   SL+  08:25   0:31 ./vsmap3d
I'm not able to run vegastrike and vsmap3d at the same time without one of them gets killed after my computer heavily swaps and is basically useless :-(
templer666
Trader
Trader

Post by templer666 »

Well, I'm not quite sure if it's supposed to use that much RAM or not. I made the same observation in 1.3.4, when I played texturizing all the stars with the Vega Strike textures. Although there are only about 10 different star textures, my RAM got blown and after exceeding 2GB, VSMap3D got killed.

I didn't do any calculations yet, but the software reads all stars' and factions' infos. There are approximately 6000 stars in the universe. So if it consumes 500MB RAM for 6000 stars that makes about 87kB per star.
Well that looks much to me. Maybe it's due to the many filter cache lists I build in to speed up the drawing. On a first estimate, neglecting cached lists, each star "structure" should only need about 100 bytes.

Well, I'll have to have a look at this. :?
Got VSMap3D?
Zann
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Zann »

Hi again.
First of all, I'm no programmer. developer or anything fancy as that :-)

In an attempt to remove the 3ddisplay from the current svn code of vsmap3d i managed to reduce the memory use. However as I have just about no idea of what I'm doing, so chances are very great that I simply just did something stupid :-)
Memory usage of vsmap3d

Code: Select all

USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
zann        4909 36.1 30.1 306552 312840 pts/3   SL+  11:24   0:23 ./bin/linux/release/vsmap3d
But as fair as I can see it actually works as a simple navigation. It tells me in the messages window what jump point I to take.
svn diff
http://pastebin.com/m4445072c
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Another idea came up when using VSMap3D. It would be good to have a function for resetting the camera to its original position and orientation. Sometimes when scrolling too fast with the mouse wheel one can get completely lost and mix up the directions.

Btw, has been mentioned before but here again: my version 1.3.3 crashes completely on my win box due to excessive memory usage. This would be an important issue to solve.

EDIT:
In another post
jackS wrote:By default, down in VSMap3D would appear to correspond to Rimward, up to Coreward, left to Spinward, and right to Antispinward. (personally, I always drew my maps with up as Rimward (hence the numbering on the RBL sectors) :) )
Could the camera be placed on the opposite side of the galaxy by default to reflect jacks idea and smoothen communication. Thanks ;)

EDIT2:
* Oops, I didn't actually notice the tiny note on your page that the download source was moved to sf. Now I run 1.3.5 and win build doesn't crash on startup anymore.
* The factions that can be toggled from the menu stop with pirates (due to running out of keys?). Maybe the remaining factions can be provided in the menu without key assignment or assigned to CTRL+Letter.
* Unfortunately the app sometimes crashes on linux/win when clicking on a sector (e.g. the Sol sector) in the tree view. (Index out of bounds?)
* A rotation possibility around the local screen center would be very useful to help better evaluate the 3 dimensions and distances between systems that you are currently viewing.
templer666
Trader
Trader

Post by templer666 »

* The factions that can be toggled from the menu stop with pirates (due to running out of keys?). Maybe the remaining factions can be provided in the menu without key assignment or assigned to CTRL+Letter.
This functionality is in the "view"->"factions" menu.

Sorry, for short response, but I've only 4 weeks left for finishing my diploma thesis...
Got VSMap3D?
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Maybe I was not clear enough. I cannot, for example, select the faction "shmrn" from the menu, or is it just me.

This is not urgent and can definitely wait until you're done with your thesis. Good luck.
Varch
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Re: Lost on 2D Maps of 3D Universe? Announcing VSMap3D 1.3.5

Post by Varch »

Is there a current download site for VSMap3D? It appears the Sourceforge site is abandoned and I can't seem to find it on the author's website.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Lost on 2D Maps of 3D Universe? Announcing VSMap3D 1.3.5

Post by TBeholder »

Varch wrote:Is there a current download site for VSMap3D? It appears the Sourceforge site is abandoned and I can't seem to find it on the author's website.
it's in SVN.

The current version fails without leaving any error messasges in terminal or .xsession-errors on my machine
$ ./run.bash
Checking run dir: bin/linux/release
Checking run executable: vsmap3d
Refreshing build if necessary
release build
qmake -project -after QT+=opengl QT+=xml QT+=gui win32:CONFIG+=console OBJECTS_DIR="obj/linux/release" MOC_DIR="moc/linux/release" DESTDIR="bin/linux/release" TARGET="vsmap3d"
qmake
cp "gpl.txt" "bin/linux/release/"
cp "sector32.png" "bin/linux/release/"
cp "system32.png" "bin/linux/release/"
cp "unknown.png" "bin/linux/release/"
cp "vsmap3d.ico" "bin/linux/release/"
cp "vsmap3d.png" "bin/linux/release/"
make
make: Nothing to be done for `first'.
Starting "release" run
./vsmap3d
QGLShader::link: "Vertex shader(s) linked, fragment shader(s) linked.
"
"
"
"
./run.bash: line 61: 9054 Segmentation fault "./${CMD}"
segfault was when i tried to switch into one of systems from "unknown sector" (the same with any of them).
otherwise it runs - displays faction and system stats, eats a lot of resources on change :twisted: but the map is empty, containing only usual video memory junk
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter