Lost? Need a map? Announcing VSnav!

A forum for the discussion and development of programs to assist working on or playing with the Vegastrike engine and data sets.
Sneemaster
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sneemaster »

I'm not sure if I'm using VSNav right, but when I click Shift-M it brings up the map listing of the different systems. But what do the various buttons on the side do? Also, sometimes the buttons are really hard to see when you are in a dark area...can that be fixed?
"It's the most bizarre part of this entire campaign."
JungleJim
Hunter
Hunter

Post by JungleJim »

I've got a list of all Stars observed in the Hipparcos survey. This should contain ALL stars within 100 parsec (~16,000 of them) plus many others beyond that (total ~47,000).

If you're interested in such things I could upload them somewhere.

The Excel is arather large (~100 MB) but the CSV version is only ~ 6 MB.

Jim
Be seeing you,
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

JungleJim wrote:I've got a list of all Stars observed in the Hipparcos survey. This should contain ALL stars within 100 parsec (~16,000 of them) plus many others beyond that (total ~47,000).

If you're interested in such things I could upload them somewhere.

The Excel is arather large (~100 MB) but the CSV version is only ~ 6 MB.

Jim
OOH! OOH!

Gimme! :):):):)

I would be very interested in obtaining a copy of said document. CSV will be great. This would notably improve upon our existing data set.
JungleJim
Hunter
Hunter

Post by JungleJim »

OK, I've WinZipped it so it's a nice 2 MB file now. Where should I send it?
Be seeing you,
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

my preffered e-mail address for files:
ministerofinformation
(gmail.com)
JungleJim
Hunter
Hunter

Post by JungleJim »

I sent this last night so you should have it by now.

Let me know what you think. :D

Jim
Be seeing you,
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Received.

We'll merge it with our existing data when we get the chance to write some good filtering scripts :)
Rigel
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Rigel »

I have downloaded vsnav and am have'n a couple problems with it.

First I use linux and the CVS version of VS. I have found that to get the program to monitor my save file I needed to link my ~/.vegastrike/save directory into my /games/vegastrike/data4.x/.vegastrike directory. Not big deal but took a few to figure out.

The second more serious problem is that even when I got it to find my save game it doesn't keep track of the systems I have visited. When I'm in game and save it does update my current system but even that one doesn't show that I've visited it in it's info snippet.

Finally, the Assests do not seem to work at all. All I get is an empty listbox when I click the Assets button.

Thanks,
Rigel
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

it seems we really need to take contact with Iqauto to grab source. Has someone already tried or not?
I see dead polygons....
fizze
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

lights

Post by fizze »

Sneemaster wrote:I'm not sure if I'm using VSNav right, but when I click Shift-M it brings up the map listing of the different systems. But what do the various buttons on the side do? Also, sometimes the buttons are really hard to see when you are in a dark area...can that be fixed?

true that. I think a species than can develop jump drives could also have the technology to create backlighted buttons ;)
Crowley

Mac Version

Post by Crowley »

Are you still working on a mac version of this? The game would be incredibly fun if I hadn't gone through Rlaan territority and into unknown trying to find my way back to the Crucible system.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

we'll release 0.4.3pre sometime before new year
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

Re: VSnav 0.55 beta3

Post by Guest »

ya i need a mac 0SX version too can u make 1

Re: VSnav 0.55 beta3

Post by Guest »

can u make a map like they have in Ev nova because that would be awsome

ya i acually want to find earth and other stuff

ya and i cant get out of ares space
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

1) Please stop spamming the forums like you did

2) A Mac version will be out with the next release, else you can look at some other threads for a way to get VS working using using the binary built for the privateer mod

3) As I said in another thread, a better map is going to be in the next version.

4) Earth, or for that matter a decent Sol system, is not in 0.4.2

5) Can't help you there, use VSNav

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

ya...we're certain that 0.4.3 or 0.5.0 will have a mac version... :-)
and they will both rock
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
tripintraveler
Merchant
Merchant

Thanks for VSnav, and a Question on layout ?

Post by tripintraveler »

hi, and thanks for Vsnav, i had a question on layout of the map itself, would it be possible to limit shown star systems to Only the one that you are currently in, and those that connect Directly to it?
Thanks for the help. :)
TripinTraveler
pifactorial
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by pifactorial »

Maybe this has already been answered. Is there, or will there ever be, a release of VSNav's source code?
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

go to iqauto's website, there is some contacts and and icq adress
I see dead polygons....
mejobloggs_
Trader
Trader

Post by mejobloggs_ »

Hmm, some things bug me about this.

In the 'Find System' tool, is it possible to use the mouse scroll-button? I can't.

Also, in the 'Find System' there should be a basic text search Ctrl-F, because even typing in the first 3 letters would be a lot faster. Well, I think so anyway.
tripintraveler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by tripintraveler »

im having some trouble with vsnav displaying system assets in 4.3. ... ive tried specifying defaultsavegame.4x but it perpetually loads (lil hour glass icon that never goes away) and if i enter in the savegame file name for my pilot (in the case "badhabit" ) it loads where im at In the game but no system assets, or showing Where ive been...
any ideas on a solution?
ive put the vsnav.exe Above the .vegastrike folder (took a lil bit for it to Stay above that folder, but managed to get it to stick)
im using xp pro, amd sempron 2800+ 512 ram
Get in, Sit Down, Shut Up and Hang On, .. We're Going For A Ride
vwcd
Explorer
Explorer

Post by vwcd »

Hello,

I am using VS 0.4.3 on a Window XP and I am also having troubles with Asset, when I press Asset button it is empty even after visited some Mining Base and Planets. I tried to jump to another system but the problem is the same. (I saved the game every time I landed)

In fact there are two possibilities...

1. A bug

2. User issue... what should happen with asset? how does it work? How can I check if I am doing the right use of the program? (I usually call this problem as Error 45 ... Error caused due to the the thing that is 45 cm a part from the comp keyboard, the user!!!!)

Thanks from a newbie...

Wills
jgrant666
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

not working under windows XP

Post by jgrant666 »

Firstly let me thank the author of the program, from what I've read in this forum it sounds like a great app.

Unfortunately for me it doesnt work on my machine, and I have noticed the same topic posted before, but couldnt find if there was ever a solution. Basically the program wont read my save game file, I have tried both the 4.x one and the one under the savegame directory (which doesnt have an extension) but no matter where I tell it to look it just sits there with the hourglass forever. I even tried copying the save file to a totally different directory and renaming it with a .txt extension but that didnt work. Did anyone ever manage to get this problem fixed?
League of Violent Agnostics
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Hi,
vsnav is not needed anymore.
You can plot a travel route in the map, which is easy to follow.

But it is not too intuitive and you may hit a lot of buttons to get there ;)
tripintraveler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by tripintraveler »

personally id love to see VSNav get "Fixed" for VS 4.3, .. while yes 4.3 Does have a nav computer, ... it can be combersome and confusing to use (putting it nicely) the output of VsNav is Still superior to the in game nav-map in my honest opinion, in that it Lists the route to take, and gives you Several different choices in Routes (just in case ya decide ya want to make a pit stop along the way or map out multiple stops to maximize profits (LOVE this ability) and that is somethign that as far as i can tell the in game nav-map just Doesnt possess the ability to do. so even though the "assets" feature doesnt work :( for navigational purposes VSNav is still far superior. ... In retro-spect id LOVE to see the in game nav map jumble thingy get reworked into a more "VSNav" type interface, .. the 3d views while pretty, are a Devil of a system to try to set a nav course by. Asset marking should DEFINETLY be included, along with a plain SIMPLE interface such as vsnav has, .. (drop down menus for current system, and desired destination.. its simple, and it Works Best) ive been playing vsnav since ver. 4.1 and the current nav map system has only succeeded in showing me the way to a migraine headache .. which is why i Dont use. .. too many features stuiffed into a small window basically, .... but anyway, theres my $1.36 USD.. :wink: keep up the good work and happy travels all
TripinTraveler
Get in, Sit Down, Shut Up and Hang On, .. We're Going For A Ride