Lost? Need a map? Announcing VSnav!

A forum for the discussion and development of programs to assist working on or playing with the Vegastrike engine and data sets.
idontknow
Trader
Trader

Post by idontknow »

sooooooooo...about this mac version...any idea when it might be available? so i dont have to check every day :)
piperhayes
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by piperhayes »

I've been playing for about a week and this game is awsome. It's the closest thing to Elite I've seen yet. Way to go! :D

I'd really like to use this mapping, but I'm having problems getting it to check the save game file. Do you have to put in the full path and which file exactly to you tell it to look at. Everytime I try it, it looks like it is working on it, but never shows anything.
iqAuto
Trader
Trader

Post by iqAuto »

Mac Version: I've yet to find anybody who has successfully installed perl/Tk. It seems it is not a trivial task to get it running on the Mac. I've been looking, including people I work around. When I find somebody, there's a good chance I can make it work - I need the runtime libraries to compile it. I've already successfully cross-compiled console programs to the Mac.

Save game monitoring: VSNav needs to be installed into the top vegastrike directory. It should see the universe and .vegastrike directories immediately below it. To have it monitor .vegastrike/save/defaultsavegame.4x, just enter defaultsavegame.4x in the options. VSnav looks for .vegastrike/save/yourfilename where you enter only yourfilename. When VSNav sees a file change (version 0.55) you will see .O. where the "O" moves around as it's parsing the save game info. If you're using 0.54, you'll need to upgrade, as it had some problems monitoring saved games. Let me know if it still isn't working.

-iqAuto
piperhayes
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by piperhayes »

I've got v .55 and it's in the main VegaStrike directory. Entered .vegastrike/save/defaultsavegame.4x and I still get nothing as far as where I have allready been. :cry:
piperhayes
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by piperhayes »

:lol: I've finally got it. Entered just the defaultsavegame.x4. This is soo cool. I didn't realize that I've been to so many systems allready. Maybe now I can find my way back to where I started. If I could only remember where that was.
I know this is off subject but does anyone know where I can get a Goddard or what ship would be a good step up from the llama yet retain the cargo area and be able to mount the tractor beam and mabe a turret?
DrJon
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

But I cant find......

Post by DrJon »

Excellent pice of software, but.. erm.. why can't I find Earth?
Does it not exist any more :?:

Doc.
G3David
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by G3David »

Can't wait for the Mac release!
Excuse me sir, can you tell me how to get to Omicron Persei 8?
My Website|Please do not click here
iqAuto
Trader
Trader

Post by iqAuto »

Unfortunately, I'm still unable to find ANYBODY with a Mac who has Perl/Tk working. My local Mac guru, while adept at unix/linux as well as the Mac variant (but not a Perl master), is unable to get it going either.

I can cross compile to the Mac, but only command line progs. If I ever find anybody with a working Tk lib, I'll get the job done. But judging from the current situation, I wouldn't hold my breath....

-iqAuto
G3David
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by G3David »

(Takes a deeeeeeeeep breath)
Excuse me sir, can you tell me how to get to Omicron Persei 8?
My Website|Please do not click here
V'ger
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by V'ger »

Hi,

I just dled the game last night and came on here to find out information about my starting ship, since I have enough cash to maybe upgrade something and found VSNav. All I can say is WOW! I can see this will be an immense help.

One thing, if I understand this correctly, you only show systems, not planets IN the system? So, if I want to see what all is in a system, I have to be there? I'm just starting and haven't even jumped yet, but was trying to see if your program would show me everything that was in the starting system.

Thanks for a wonderful proggy!

In space no one can hear you ask for directions ...
V'ger gone
iqAuto
Trader
Trader

Post by iqAuto »

-----

>One thing, if I understand this correctly, you only show systems, not
>planets IN the system? So, if I want to see what all is in a system, I have
>to be there? I'm just starting and haven't even jumped yet, but was
>trying to see if your program would show me everything that was in the
>starting system.

-----

2 reasons for this:

1. Much of the information is not generated until after you've been there.

2. Not displaying information which is available before visiting a system was a design choice I made, so as not to ruin the "exploration" aspect of the game. After you've been there, the information of what's in the system is available to you listed as the system's "Assets" (mining bases, ag or industrial planets, etc.), although specific planet names are not shown. This information will remain available after you've left a system. I'm not sure planet names are that important, given the program's function is to provide a map for easy inter-system travel rather than for travel within a system. Also, in order for the program to see that you've been there, you need to save the game.

There is other types of information available that my program does not display, but I haven't been motivated to add that information. Specifically, certain ship locations are stored away. This could allow you to hunt hostile ships for fun! But again, I'm not sure I'd want that available if I hadn't been to the system so as not to ruin the "exploration" fun.

-iqAuto
Culture20
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Culture20 »

Binary release only?
Irishman
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Irishman »

hey i'm having problems getting vsnav to work it says i have to playce vsnav above the universe folder and the.vegastrike folder and i did that but it still comes up with the same message as i load the program

Help?

getting vsnav

Post by Guest »

Am I the only one having problems getting this VSnav? I got all excited when I saw this thread, and then when I wanted to try it out all I can get from the http://www.iqauto.com/vs is http error 403/Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /vs/ on this server. :-(
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

BTW we now have planet information stored in milky_way.xml and a better ingame map thanks to ace123

this is in cvs
Last edited by hellcatv on Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
saintanik
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Lost? Need a map? Announcing VSnav!

Post by saintanik »

Tru dat, I too am a lost soul....somewhere deep in Rlaan territory. absolutly cannot find my way home......i get the same message. http://www.iqauto.com/vs is http error 403/Forbidden. Whats going on here? How can we access??
Crazy? I'm not crazy!! It's just that everyone else is normal.
iqAuto
Trader
Trader

Re: getting vsnav

Post by iqAuto »

iqAuto changed servers awhile back. You should be able to get it now...

------

"Am I the only one having problems getting this VSnav? I got all excited when I saw this thread, and then when I wanted to try it out all I can get from the http://www.iqauto.com/vs is http error 403/Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /vs/ on this server. :-("
Surfdargent
Developer
Developer

Post by Surfdargent »

Any chance we can get some source tarball ? Any CVS ?
I may try to compile Perl/Tk under MacOS X Jaguar sometimes soon.
iqAuto
Trader
Trader

Mac Tester

Post by iqAuto »

If anybody is still interested in a Mac version, please pm me....
I MAY be a little closer to having a Mac version available.

thanks,
-iqAuto
spunti

small fonts, open source

Post by spunti »

I testet the Linux-Version and it works fine. Now I have a fair chance to find the Berkely-system where the ISO is situated.

But the fonts are very small and I'd like to get the vsnav as open source to make shure that there is no spy-software or something like that included.

regards from Germany
spunti
Odin83

Post by Odin83 »

Hello all,
Where is the solar system and the earth ?
i go to sol/sol but it's not here !!!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

we're workin on it
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

Post by Guest »

ah ok ! great
i saw somewhere in forums that the vegastrike universe was based on NASA data, it's true ?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Anonymous wrote:ah ok ! great
i saw somewhere in forums that the vegastrike universe was based on NASA data, it's true ?
yes and no.

The majority of the stars (in terms of location and type [O,B,K,G 2 V, etc.]) are presented based on real data. However, many of these stars, being by size and/or spectral type likely very boring or very inhospitible, are not included in the jump network, and are just there for visual fun when displaying the star backgrounds. Also, the listing we were able to mine was only a listing of near-earth (~25 parsecs) and noteworthy stars, so the stars in the jump network outside of the four sectors around sol are almost entirely randomly generated.
Odin83

Post by Odin83 »

Ok thanks, great infos, great universe and great game
j'adore