Lost? Need a map? Announcing VSnav!

A forum for the discussion and development of programs to assist working on or playing with the Vegastrike engine and data sets.
weaselflink
Explorer
Explorer

Post by weaselflink »

Wrote a little program for viewing the map (yesterday), but forgot to have a look in the forum.

Anyway you can find it here (complete with source under GPL):
http://www.bissell.de/vegamap/

Needs Java 1.5 to run.

Usage:

Code: Select all

java -jar vegamap.jar -f <path_to_milky_way.xml>
Right click to center map at click
Mouse wheel for zoom
Hit "j" to toggle showing systems without jumps (default off)
Hit "n" to toggle showing system names (default on)
Hit "s" to toggle showing system sector (default off)
Hit "f" to toggle showing system faction (default off)
Hit "b" to toggle showing sector "boxes" (default off)
Left click on system then left click on another system:
Calculates path and dumps path to stdout

Have fun!
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

No luck here, everything in the window is black. Perhaps I should upgrade java from 1.5 beta to 1.5 itself ;) Tried that, no go. It compiles and starts up with no complaints (unless I feed it a bad path for the milky_way.xml file). But nothing shows up. I'll google for a bit but I'm realy not sure what to be looking for.

Running on Debian Etch btw, perhaps it's a WORA issue ;)
weaselflink
Explorer
Explorer

Post by weaselflink »

Hmm ... just tested it on a Windows 2000 system with jdk1.5.0_04 and runs fine.

Well it should really be WORA ... besides it also runs on my Mandrake-box.

Try running ant, copying "milky_way.xml" to the program directory and running

Code: Select all

java -cp build/classes vegamap.Galaxy
that should print a list of all systems found in "milky_way.xml" (5000+).

If that works, then it seems to be a graphics problem .. although I'm only using regular Swing.

Stupid question:
Have you tried zooming? Anyways view should be centered on Sol-system (x=0.0, y=0.0).
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

That was actually the first thing I tried :D When I saw there were two classes with main methods, I tried the other, then tried again after I saw I had to copy over the .xml file, and it spit out a list of systems.

Figured it out though from your comment about being centered on sol system. I was using the privateer remake universe map, which has 0,0 at some point to the lower left of everything else. Zooming out (farther than I had before) brought stuff into view :)

The one issue I could see: the map is upside down compared to how it's presented in Vegastrike. Vegastrike uses a cartesian system where positive Y is up and negative Y is down.

Changing line 308 of GalaxyView to
Point tp = new Point(p.x - vc.x, - (0 -(p.y - vc.y)));
and line 321 to
int y = (0 - (int)Math.round(- (p.getY() - center.getY()) * scale) + shift.y);
gets it to display correctly, and doesn't ruin right click navigation. Maybe better to flip Y at the point3d level..

Anyway, I'm sure you know what to do with it, your code after all and you're a tad more familiar with it ;)
weaselflink
Explorer
Explorer

Post by weaselflink »

MamiyaOtaru wrote:The one issue I could see: the map is upside down compared to how it's presented in Vegastrike. Vegastrike uses a cartesian system where positive Y is up and negative Y is down.
If you look at e.g. the "Sol/Hammer" system (x=78.044665 y=-49.099794) you'll find it to the right and below "Sol/Sol". The coordinates must be reversed in the program because Java/Swing uses y=0 as the the top of the window and goes down for positive values.

Oops ... wouldn't that mean the display in Vegastrike is uppside down :wink:
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

LOL I think I turned myself around.. 0,0 was to the lower left of everything when it was upside down, so I think I got flipped around. Point being though, vegamap is upside down compared to the in game map. Which one is actually backwards is up in the air of course, but in priv remake, it has to look like it does in game, and changing those two lines makes it so :)
weaselflink
Explorer
Explorer

Post by weaselflink »

Well I'll just add another button (like "r") for reversing the Y-axis (with default on).

And thanks a lot for the input. I just didn't check the in-game map, because it is so hard to handle (rotating it makes the view worse, most of the time).
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Gah, you are very correct. In PR's xml, a system that appears above Sol in game has a smaller y value. This is opposite from the way the .system maps work, so that's a bit weird :D Anyway, looks like the in game map is upside down, but PR's xml took that into account, so for vegamap to display it correctly it wouldn't have to flip things at all (instad of flipping them twice, like my patch did lol). The r button you propose sounds like it would work just fine.
tripintraveler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by tripintraveler »

ok i downloaded the applet, .. now what? how exactly do i install it into the game or whatever? im a non programer type persopn so some help would be GREATLY appreciated
thank you
tripintraveler
Get in, Sit Down, Shut Up and Hang On, .. We're Going For A Ride
lobodomar
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

vsnav

Post by lobodomar »

Well, where exactly install it. I tried everything but ther´s only a message saying it can´t find milky way or whatever. Please help!
lobodomar
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

vsnav

Post by lobodomar »

Well, where exactly install it. I tried everything but ther´s only a message saying it can´t find milky way or whatever. Please help!
pheldens
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by pheldens »

holy crap, this universe is big. thanks for writing the utility :D
Last edited by pheldens on Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pheldens
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: vsnav

Post by pheldens »

lobodomar wrote:Well, where exactly install it. I tried everything but ther´s only a message saying it can´t find milky way or whatever. Please help!
Extract the zip, open a prompt, cd into the unzipped directory, then:

java -jar vegamap.jar -f <path_to_vegastrike_data>/uni
verse/milky_way.xml

If you got it working, you can create a launcher/shortcut or batchfile on the desktop.
jwesle
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Lost? Need a map? Announcing VSnav!

Post by jwesle »

Ok, stupid question coming up... where is the download link?!?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

If you mean to one that started this thread the link has been dead for quite awhile now :) but the one at the top of the page may also have gone that way i use the one in this thread there are Linux and windows binaries on templer666 web site as well as the source code.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Varch
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Varch »

Where can we find a current download site for VSnav? Old links do not seem to work.
NEWARE
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by NEWARE »

Varch wrote:Where can we find a current download site for VSnav? Old links do not seem to work.
Same problem. Seems to be because the sourceforge forum is gone and all the latest activity was there, or something.

I don't know, I just dl'd this game yesterday. I need the last-known Linux version but I'm sure if someone could put up the windows one it would be appreciated by others. Any filesharing site will do.

Thank you all for your hard work.

Edit: or PM me.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

http://forums.vega-strike.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6774 should work. Same thread as the above link pointed to. Links don't change when you switch domains so any old post pre october 2011 will continue to point to the old forums instead of here. Same problem with the wiki.

If you run across any other links pointing to the old forums just replace the vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forums/ with forums.vega-strike.org/
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo