0.5.1.r1 release is Ready

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
-DanR-
Trader
Trader

Re: 0.5.1.r1 release is Ready

Post by -DanR- »

Also, given the system names you used there - are you using Privateer Gemini Gold for your reference files?

Only reason I ask is that space is certainly busier in that mod.
Never rush a Jalthi head on.
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

Hi
Also, given the system names you used there - are you using Privateer Gemini Gold for your reference files?
No , but that game/mod is very good , it is after have played hours on it that i've decided to
join the VS community .

I am actually working on the network side of VS , to help the community to grow online by playing
together too ...
There is a lot of cool things to do , but not enough workers on it , sadly .
:)

Code: Select all

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
                // So what are you going to threaten me with? Exhaustion gas?
                return ThreatLevel::None;
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
-DanR-
Trader
Trader

Post by -DanR- »

ezee wrote:Hi
No , but that game/mod is very good , it is after have played hours on it that i've decided to
join the VS community .

I am actually working on the network side of VS , to help the community to grow online by playing
together too ...
There is a lot of cool things to do , but not enough workers on it , sadly .
I wish I could help. I build PCs for a living but my knowledge of programming and software is very poor. I've modded Gemini Gold a few times using a CSV editor, just simple stuff like adding turrets, modelling new cockpits.

I have no idea how Python works, really. What is the best tool for editing these PY files? I've been using Notepad, which is fine with factions_ships.py but with generate_dyn_universe.py it causes the NO ROOMS error so I guess it's screwing it up.

Also, how come there are sometimes both .PY and .PYC files of the same name? Sorry for all the questions, you've been amazing.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Since your on Windows try notepad+ as your default text editor it has syntax highlighting for Python and quite a few other languages 8) keeps you from making the real stupid errors :lol: and the .pyc files are compiled versions of the .py ones makes things run just a few milliseconds faster on the second go round.If I remember correctly there is a variable in the config file that defines how much traffic there is had a round of stress testing quite awhile ago bad boys on your "six" about every light-min :D Remember taking on a twenty ship fur ball and surviving.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
-DanR-
Trader
Trader

Post by -DanR- »

loki1950 wrote:Since your on Windows try notepad+ as your default text editor it has syntax highlighting for Python and quite a few other languages 8) keeps you from making the real stupid errors :lol: and the .pyc files are compiled versions of the .py ones makes things run just a few milliseconds faster on the second go round.If I remember correctly there is a variable in the config file that defines how much traffic there is had a round of stress testing quite awhile ago bad boys on your "six" about every light-min :D Remember taking on a twenty ship fur ball and surviving.

That's what I'm aiming for, in Gemini Gold you'd run into Navpoints with about 20 ships of mixed factions - Retro, Hunter, Pirates, Confed - sometimes Kilrathi all going for each other.

Can you give me a hint as to where I need to be looking in the config file? That would be much easier!

Thanks so much.
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

Sorry for all the questions, you've been amazing.
Don't be sorry , that is not our goal , after all .
So you like to be creative , me too .
That's the root of every project .

But you are right , we need tools and the knowledge about it to achieve good result .
So ... i personally use a free program under windows to edit python files , very convenient
and easy to use .
The name is pyscripter , wait , i search the link ...
got it : https://sourceforge.net/projects/pyscripter/

Then , learning python can be quick , i mean to be able to follow a logic , and be able
to tweak some variables , even before being able to write a new function or class .

I like to share my knowledge , so don't hesitate to ask me if you need to .
I have no idea how Python works, really. What is the best tool for editing these PY files? I've been using Notepad, which is fine with factions_ships.py but with generate_dyn_universe.py it causes the NO ROOMS error so I guess it's screwing it up.
The reason is that python need a special attention in the formating of data , like indentation ,
end of lines written by programs like notepad can break the .py file .
Pyscripter can help you to respect the format by underlining the word or symbol that will
cause a bug or crash .
So use pyscripter , that will make easier your learning curve of python
Also, how come there are sometimes both .PY and .PYC files of the same name?
.pyc are .py compiled files , used by python to run faster when a .py file is called .
ONLY edit .py files , .pyc are autogenerated by python internally .

Your knowledge about " using a CSV editor, just simple stuff like adding turrets, modelling new cockpits. " is very precious you know , you could be a designer in the vegaEvolved project man !
I have a ship to work on actually , made by my lead artist Darkvixen :
https://sourceforge.net/p/vegastrikevo/wiki/Shipyard/

:wink:

Edit :
Can you give me a hint as to where I need to be looking in the config file? That would be much easier!
I have looked for that yesterday , but didn't found something relevant to the traffic

Code: Select all

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
                // So what are you going to threaten me with? Exhaustion gas?
                return ThreatLevel::None;
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
ruiz
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by ruiz »

Hi, the site sourceforge is disappointing me, because it is not working. I cant login, manage my projects and I cant download Vega Strike from there. Please help.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

We have actually moved our development to Github for the main reason that sourceforge has become an unreliable actor I was able to start a download from the project page but not the sourceforge vegasrtike web site.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Itusa
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Itusa »

>.> really... ? You mean, that thing that still makes everyone go to the SVN?
Operating System: (Linux) Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety)
Vegastrike-taose: 0.5.1
Darkmage
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Darkmage »

Where is the latest code hosted? Has the engine been updated to OpenGL 3/4 yet or is it still using GL1?
If you're interested in helping with mission editor/engine development contact me at jcarthew@gmail.com or irc.freenode.net #vegastrike.
Itusa
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Itusa »

Here: https://github.com/Taose/Vegastrike-taose

While not the SVN repository, it compiles and works and has far fewer warnings.
Operating System: (Linux) Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety)
Vegastrike-taose: 0.5.1
ragnar-gd
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by ragnar-gd »

Is there - beyond PGG - any working windows-version of any WingCommander-VegaStrike hybrid downloadable and running?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Not that I know off at the moment the current download works on Win 7 but not later versions which means that if you have Win 7 and can find binaries for Privateer Universe.

JTechno
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by JTechno »

I've downloaded and extracted the following files from sourceforge:
vegastrike-data-0.5.1.r1.tar.bz2
vegastrike-extra-0.5.1.r1.tar.bz2
vegastrike-music-0.5.1.r1.tar
vegastrike-speech-0.5.1.r1.tar

but they don't seem to contain any binary.

Are them in another archive?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

All you got is the data there is a windows binary available but for Linux you will need to get the source code and compile yourself but be advised that most of the libraries that are used have changed their API's so it does not build without some changes to those library calls.

JTechno
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by JTechno »

Then I'll try to install the packages from some distro, thank you.
galactic123
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by galactic123 »

Hello there! Came back to checking out Vega Strike after a couple years away. Things have certainly changed quite a bit!

Quick question though: I am creating a browser game (HTML5). Is it OK if I use images from VegaStrike? (Bars, Hangars, etc?) I have no problem in crediting the source. Game might be commercial (ads and such present). Or are these images copyrighted? Thanks for any insight!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Yes the images are copyrighted so do say where you got them apart from that have fun.

gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

galactic123 wrote:Is it OK if I use images from VegaStrike? (Bars, Hangars, etc?) I have no problem in crediting the source. Game might be commercial (ads and such present). Or are these images copyrighted? Thanks for any insight!
As loki1950 says they're copyrighted. The license defines how you can use the software/artwork and is available here:
https://github.com/vegastrike/Vega-Stri ... er/COPYING

Here is what the gnu people say about commercial use of software under gpl2 license. I see no separate license for the artwork/models so it looks like it is under gpl2 also. https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licens ... mmercially

To sum it up: You may actually have to release your product under the same license.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.