Documentation

A forum for the discussion and development of programs to assist working on or playing with the Vegastrike engine and data sets.
akollias
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Documentation

Post by akollias »

Guys i would like to ask if there is any documentation for the code (mostly on mesher) Thanks for any help
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Documentation

Post by klauss »

Just whatever comments are present in code (ie: none), I'm afraid.

There is a bit of documentation about the file formats, though. Is that what you're after?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

mostly covering bfxm if I remember correctly. Hes the one that going to handle mesher tweaks and making a unit converter on steroids (I hope) for the tools project.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
akollias
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by akollias »

ok i think i will manage somehow i got the hang on qt so no problem there i will begin by copy paste mostly in the begining also one last question: how do you normally run mesher? is it command line with arguments the name of the file you want to convert and the name of teh dest file?

EDIT: ok i have to admit the code is scary it might take some time to get it
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

akollias wrote:is it command line with arguments the name of the file you want to convert and the name of teh dest file?
Yes, but you also give it a third argument, which is a three letter code for the kind of conversion you are doing. The code is the initials of the formats that are being converted from and to, followed by "c" which stands for 'convert' or 'conversion'.

So an .obj to .bfxm conversion is:
this.obj that.bfxm obc
Or an .xmesh to .obj conversion is:
this.xmesh that.obj xoc
akollias
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by akollias »

ok thanks. Where is the doc about the file formats you said?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Unit Converter manual (not sure if its current) http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... tConverter
General Wiki http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/Vegastrike

I tried to find additional information on the bfxm format but didn't see anything useful.. you can try to search the wiki and forums but as with other things there is a serious lack of documentation.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Deus Siddis wrote:
akollias wrote:is it command line with arguments the name of the file you want to convert and the name of teh dest file?
Yes, but you also give it a third argument, which is a three letter code for the kind of conversion you are doing. The code is the initials of the formats that are being converted from and to, followed by "c" which stands for 'convert' or 'conversion'.

So an .obj to .bfxm conversion is:
this.obj that.bfxm obc
Actually, c stands for create.

Since BFXMs may have many meshes inside (with many materials and textures), you can "add" meshes to an existing BFXM by doing
this.obj that.bfxm oba
a stands for add

BFXM specification (might be a slight bit out of date, so double-check everything with the code, but not by much)

XMESH specification (also, probably a bit out of date)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Boaal
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Boaal »

There are no notes in the code? Are we talking old code, like the Ai scripts that, as far as I've heard and understand, are nigh-unintelligible anyway and need almost entirely re-writing, or the newer stuff that's being worked on?

If it is the newer stuff, I'm thinking maybe the coders should put some notes into their code for future coders. As I see it nobody will be around forever to work on this, given that it's not a strict team working on it, and so if stuff needs editing again in the future, as it invariably will do, it would be beneficial to the future people to have some references as to where they are in the code, thus avoid the problems we have now - not quite being able to interpret another persons code.
The Twitching Pattern - http://www.last.fm/music/The+Twitching+Pattern
Have a listen.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

The majority of the code is not well documented unless worked on recently by kluass or a few others. This discussion covers mesher and the bfxm file format only but the lack of documetation applies to all. VS is a great game and a decent engine.. but there could have been more done to help it shine even more.
akollias
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by akollias »

ok i am lost. how do you normally compile this thing (seems like files are mishing etc )
i got it from here http://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... nv/mesher/
did i do something wrong? plz anyon egive details on the how to on linux or windows
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I'm not sure on linux. I think it might be a part of one of the cmake files... on windows the project files are in vega-vc9/devtools.sln

vega-vc9 also holda all the other visual studio projects. Tools in devtools.sln, vegastrike, vegaserver, and setup in vegastrike.sln
akollias
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by akollias »

ok i will try on windows

will try to take it apart from every other source file so i can try to make something with only this and the to try to put other things inside
breese
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by breese »

akollias wrote:ok i am lost. how do you normally compile this thing (seems like files are mishing etc )
i got it from here http://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... nv/mesher/
did i do something wrong? plz anyon egive details on the how to on linux or windows
Check out everything from trunk/vegastrike/, not just trunk/vegastrike/objconv/mesher/, and build the mesher from the vegastrike directory.
ghoulsblade2
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by ghoulsblade2 »

compiling mesher worked for me in linux ubuntu 10.10 by checking out trunk/vegastrike/ and then doing ./configure && make
after that i had the mesher binary at vegasrike/mesher
(without ogre support though, config fails to detect my ogre install it seems)