What kind of tool would you like to see?

A forum for the discussion and development of programs to assist working on or playing with the Vegastrike engine and data sets.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

What kind of tool would you like to see?

Post by pheonixstorm »

As I continue development of my own tool set and travists is working on a tool to create new bases I ask of you.. whats left?

So far..
Mission Editor: Create new campaigns, general missions, or side quests.
Data Editor: For configuration and creation of units.csv, master_parts_list.csv, weapon editing.. So covers adding new ships, new planet types, new cargo.
May also allow for altering how trade gets handled from planet to planet.
Base Editor: create or edit bases, rooms, terminals, etc.
Mesher: For creating new 3d objects in the VS native bfxm format. (also has the associated unit converter python gui)

So, is there anything else we need?
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Re: What kind of tool would you like to see?

Post by Deus Siddis »

I can't at the moment think of any editors beyond those, that are for features already implemented and operational.

Except maybe some kind of universe or solar system editor? Even with dynamic generation you feed the generator some parameters and there are always certain systems like cephid and sol which are static.

You could also ask Chuck_Starchaser for ideas on future content editors, he probably has a few.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

• (visual) Mountpoint editor
  • (visual) Docking point editor
  • (visual) Autodocking waypoint editor
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

@klauss aren't the docking points defined in one of the base xml files or are they handled in the bfxm file? I think all 3 are doable (eventually) so whenever you can write up some more detailed directions on the where to edit and how those files work (if its complex) I think it can be drafted and a design doc created to flesh it out a bit.

@deus I think I remember reading something about a universe/system editor over at chucks forums. Maybe if there is enough info here and over there something can be cobbled together or at the very least explained in enough detail that a new design can be created for attempts at different styles of editors.

Also, I just thought of one myself. A nice HUD editor.. The current one floating around the forums just doesn't cut it for VS cockpits... though it probably still works well enough for privateer cockpits (in windows). Getting some more tools for the artistic folk to work with will help a lot I would think. The question though... how do we match up the vdus and other items using a 3d cockpit??? I see how it is with the 2d renders but not the 3d ones. Another item that needs more info I guess.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

pheonixstorm wrote:@klauss aren't the docking points defined in one of the base xml files or are they handled in the bfxm file? I think all 3 are doable (eventually) so whenever you can write up some more detailed directions on the where to edit and how those files work (if its complex) I think it can be drafted and a design doc created to flesh it out a bit.
They're neither BFXM or XML, they're in units.csv, but are very unfriendly for human editing.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe