What are these for.....

A forum for the discussion and development of programs to assist working on or playing with the Vegastrike engine and data sets.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

What are these for.....

Post by pheonixstorm »

normal mapping and base maker. Are they still used, needed, being worked on?
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
strook
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: What are these for.....

Post by strook »

Normal mapping could be a sort of bump mapping .... Maybe I need it...
plz visit my vegastrike project branch here

plz support VegaOgre by donating to it!

My systems: Mac mini 1, 4gig RAM;
i5 Quad Core 2400, 300mbit WLAN, 1,3Tbyte HD, 60 GB SSD,
nvidia geforce 8400gs 512MB, 6gig RAM with Ubuntu 11.4,
win7 and hackintosh installed
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Any programs other than mesher, vsserver/vegaserver, vegastrike and vssetup are out of date and haven't been touched for years. Most of them were used for one-time conversions and weren't maintained after the conversions were finished.

I wouldn't delete the code, but there's no reason to make sure they compile or even make a project for them.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

UnitConverter is fairly recent... isn't it?
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Yeah, and I know what that one does. Would be nice if I could convert the converter to C/C++ and release a nice GUI under GTK or QT. Of coarse it would also be nice to have a plugin for blender, 3DS, etc so we wouldn't need something like mesher.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I assumed phoenix was talking about the C++ code since he's doing the windows port.

As far as the code in trunk/vegastrike is concerned, I think the programs I listed are all that are useful/working right now.

All the python code in modtools or other parts of the repository should work just fine, I think--definitely don't delete any working code.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Even deleted items dont go away though. Just find the revision it vanishes then back track 1 revision to make sure its the latest. I nabbed a game that was deleted off an svn on sf that way. Was there at r16 gone at r17. I could pull up the code from r1 if there was any :lol:

Anyway, obsolete software won't go away, if anything move it to some other folder to get it away from the current codebase. Same thing I did with the vega-vc9 in my branch. No mess, no more developer headaches, no more version hunts or wondering what should be updated (and no more vegastrike/server python mishmash).

Normal mapper still has a VC7 project file so if it IS used I can update it for VC( and split mesher off into a core tools solution and only have the main solution for building server, strike, setup.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

I would have thought UnitConverter was better as a Python project... I mean, less code, more modern code etc. Of course, that's only true if a VS developer or two is good with Python.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community