Weapons: how they work?

A forum for the discussion and development of programs to assist working on or playing with the Vegastrike engine and data sets.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Weapons: how they work?

Post by pheonixstorm »

Looking into how weapons are or should be balanced for the DB Editor and was wondering what variables change based on data from one to another. Such as the amount of energy used based on speed/damage compared to mass/energy consumption. If you change the relation of one does it change another? Would changing the speed of the projectile change the mass of the weapon or its range etc? I'm looking into the math side of this so that the balance issues can more tightly be controlled when working on the csv files.

The same also applies to the ships as well. Speed vs roll/yaw etc. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Re: Weapons: how they work?

Post by Deus Siddis »

If you are asking about how things currently work, then the answer is every variable is independent. You can set each the way you like, and they won't effect each other directly. But if you want realism, you have to do your own outside calculations and then change the ship or weapon variables manually in units.csv to make them conform to actual physics.

Chuck_Starchaser and another programmer had been discussing creating some sort of physics engine that would calculate a ship's yaw/pitch/roll values based on the location and thrust output of it's individual engines. But I don't know how far that project went.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Weapons: how they work?

Post by pheonixstorm »

The information is intended for the DB Editor to change the csv information in a user friendly GUI rather than by hand and calculator (or spreadsheet). Just something to make future mod creation (or internal editing) much quicker and easier rather than time consuming.. Same for the Mission Editor/Wizard (one full featured one for quick n dirty work).
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo